beginning/intermediate tuba books

Musical clipart and multimedia
BflatBass
lurker
lurker

beginning/intermediate tuba books

Post by BflatBass »

I'm primarily a trombone/bass trombonist and tuba is my main double. I'm starting up again after being away for 36 years so I would consider myself an advanced beginner. I've looked over my trombone books but I would just feel more comfortable using a book that was more tuba specific to help me with my technique/articulation/fingering exercises, etc.. I don't need help reading music. Just getting better at playing the instrument.

Any recommendations on literature that would help me get rolling?
Thanks,
Robert

Just for reference I'm playing a St. Petersburg 202 BBb four valve.
King Dou Gravis Silver Sonic
King 3B (early 70's version)
Saint Petersburg 202(L) BBb
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: beginning/intermediate tuba books

Post by The Big Ben »

BflatBass wrote:I'm primarily a trombone/bass trombonist and tuba is my main double. I'm starting up again after being away for 36 years so I would consider myself an advanced beginner. I've looked over my trombone books but I would just feel more comfortable using a book that was more tuba specific to help me with my technique/articulation/fingering exercises, etc.. I don't need help reading music. Just getting better at playing the instrument.
I have been using a book named "Preparatory Book for the Complete Method for BBb Tuba" by Dr. Jerry Young and Wesley Jacobs It is a subset of the larger Arban's book edited by Jacobs and Young for the CC Tuba. From the introduction:

"This unique publication of Arban's work has been designed expressly for developing and recreational players who seek an excellent daily routine that will help them to improve steadily. It contains selections of Arban's foremost Exercises and Studies to help you progress towards milestones at your own pace."- Dr. Jerry Young

"Most tubists play the BBb tuba, while younger players play BBb tubas almost exclusively. Therefore, Encore Music Publishers has created the publication serving all players of the BBb tuba. If a tubist decides to move to tubas in other keys, this Preparatory Book will have proven essential" - Wesley Jacobs.

It is available from Encore Music Publishers ( http://www.EncoreMuPub.com" target="_blank, http://www.ArbanBook.com" target="_blank) I also have the full Arban's for Tuba and found this book easier to handle than the larger book because it guides an inexperienced person such as myself when choosing what to play from the larger book was proving daunting. I also could see a teacher using this book with the first or second year BBb tuba student.

It lists for $18.00 from the publisher's website.
Last edited by The Big Ben on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BflatBass
lurker
lurker

Post by BflatBass »

The Big Ben wrote:I have been using a book named "Preparatory Book for the Complete Method for BBb Tuba" by Dr. Jerry Young and Wesley Jacobs It is a subset of the larger Arban's book edited by Jacobs and Young for the CC Tuba. From the introduction:

It is available from Encore Music Publishers ( http://www.EncoreMuPub.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank, http://www.ArbanBook.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank) I also have the full Arban's for Tuba and found this book easier to handle than the larger book because it guides an inexperienced person such as myself where choosing what to play from the larger book was proving daunting. I also could see a teacher using this book with the first or second year BBb tuba student.

It lists for $18.00 from the publisher's website.
This looks like what I'm after. Just something to get me started.
It also looks like Encore has some other publications that might help me later on like the Bordogni vocalises (which I use on the trombone) and maybe the Kopprasch sixty etudes.
Thanks very much.

Cheers,
Robert
King Dou Gravis Silver Sonic
King 3B (early 70's version)
Saint Petersburg 202(L) BBb
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

First and Second Books of Practical Studies for Tuba by Getchel/Hovey

Some new/old stuff I hadn’t seen before, thanks everyone!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.