"Kid Ory's Creole Trombone" vs. "Slide Frog, Slide" Bookmark and Share

Musical clipart and multimedia

"Kid Ory's Creole Trombone" vs. "Slide Frog, Slide"

Postby bloke » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:31 pm

"Kid Ory's Creole Trombone" was Mr. Edouard "Kid" Ory's signature piece, which he played with his "Creole" Jazz Band, and yes, Mr. Ory was a French-speaking "Creole" (mixed race American from New Orleans - who worked with Buddy Bolden and many others, early on in his long career).

This signature piece featured many trombone glissandi, as such are used very much in traditional jazz music.

Mr. Ory lived well into the 1970's, and was quite active in the 1950's, when the Dukes of Dixieland (the Assunto Italian-American family) soared to their own height of popularity.

The similarity between the tune, "Slide Frog, Slide" and "Kid Ory's Creole Trombone" are apparent, but they are not identical. My guess is that (as Mr. Ory was a competitor for the same market as many other bands) other bands chose to not promote Mr. Ory's signature piece, and thus a slightly different piece (though again: similar) was constructed, and not bearing Mr. Ory's name. ( :arrow: only a GUESS) Various bands play(ed) "Slide Frog, Slide" (again, a similar piece which is full of glissandi), but no information can be found (by me) regarding a date of composition or if a copyright ever existed.

In the Dukes of Dixieland video (below), that may well be Rich Matteson playing tuba, because Mr. Matteson was playing with the band during that time (around 1960, when the collaboration with Louis Armstrong was recorded), and (to me) it sounds like his "style" of playing. It is said (known) that Mr. Matteson used a B-flat helicon with that band, but surely Mr. Matteson (ref: kinescope) had access to and/or owned some sort of upright tuba as well...OR :?: perhaps Mr. Matteson borrowed an upright tuba for that TV appearance, as - likely - the band flew to the studio to appear on that television show, and (surely?) Mr. Matteson had no sort of case nor trunk for his helicon. ...or (who knows...??) it could well have been a walk-on sub...
There is actually a TRUE EXPERT on this band (a nephew of Frank and Fred Assunto - Mike Marois) who is a TubeNet subscriber (tuba player), and could correct any inaccuracies and put any of my guesses to rest.

EDOUARD "KID" ORY, performing KID ORY'S CREOLE TROMBONE

FRED ASSUNTO, and the Dukes of Dixieland, performing SLIDE FROG, SLIDE
(television kinescope)
(studio recording)
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Re: "Kid Ory's Creole Trombone" vs. "Slide Frog, Slide"

Postby Three Valves » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:11 pm

Slide Frog, Slide wins just on the name!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Return to Media