Fabulous YouTube Clip

Musical clipart and multimedia
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

Mojo workin' wrote:In the interest of balance, here's a beautiful woman NOT making an absolute fool of herself on a brass instrument-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MkMdlfl8Hg.
You need to take the period off of the end of the url. BTW, fantastic find. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MkMdlfl8Hg
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
Blastissimo con Forte
bugler
bugler

Post by Blastissimo con Forte »

The William Hung of Trumpet!!!
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

Mojo workin' wrote:In the interest of balance, here's a beautiful woman NOT making an absolute fool of herself on a brass instrument-
try again, please???? malformed ID
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

sc_curtis wrote:
You need to take the period off of the end of the url. BTW, fantastic find. Thanks!

So where's the "Roy Horn" call!?
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

Hey Mojo,

Please don't punctuate your sentences that end with a url because that breaks the link more often than not. I get a 'malformed link' message when I click on your link. It should have been:

Oops, didn't read the whole thread. My bad! :oops:
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
TonyZ
pro musician
pro musician

Post by TonyZ »

windshieldbug wrote:
TonyZ wrote:If you do a Google search on this poor woman, it fills pages! It makes you think about what you [do] and how it may impact your future!
Like simply forgetting to type the word 'do'... :P
:oops:
Tony Z.
joebob
bugler
bugler

Post by joebob »

It's possible that the tape player used at the pageant was set at a different speed than the tape player she used to practice this "routine." You could get away with that to a certain extent with a singer, but if you do that to a trumpet player (especially someone who probably can't transpose), you'll get a very out of tune performance. I think the dancing/choreography is even funnier than the atonality.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

the elephant wrote:The first two notes do not descend in the real Star Wars, nor in this awful disco version
What about the Bill Murray "Nick Winters" version?

"Star Waaaaaarrrrrrrrs,
Nothing but Staaaaaaarrrr Wars.
Gimme those Star Waaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrs,
Don't let them ennnnnnd!"
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Mojo workin'
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Mojo workin' »

try again, please???? malformed ID

:oops:
joebob
bugler
bugler

Post by joebob »

the elephant wrote:Nope. That is the correct key for this dreadful disco Star Wars.
Wow! Sounds like you have a lot of experience with this pageant thing! I've never known anyone involved with something like this so I guess my tendency to give someone the benefit of the doubt is misplaced in this case (although I guess it's still technically possible that the tape player used to practice this "performance" was at the wrong speed and the tape player used at the pageant was at the correct speed or key).
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

the elephant wrote:He still ascends a P5 at the top. He does not start each period with a descending P4.
The tape does this, too, and there are other errors, like the cantina theme. Sounds like someone's "Royalties!? I ain't payin' John Williams no stinkin' royalties!" version...
Todd S. Malicoate
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Todd S. Malicoate »

Eric B wrote:Bless her heart. That's a tough way to discover that the trumpet is not in concert pitch. She didn't seem to notice though.
For goodness sakes, people...the track is playing a bit slow, and if you have a piano near your computer you can easily tell the track is in B Major while she plays in C Major. You can't see her fingers well enough to see what valves she's depressing, but I'm fairly confident she's trying to play the melody in concert C major. If she were playing an untransposed part on trumpet, it would sound a whole step lower than written (in concert Bb major), making her incredibly flat.

What would you expect her to do, hear the problem on the fly and transpose down a half step under pressure? Sure, it's a simple melody, but I doubt the young lady has the ability to pull a knee-jerk transposition off. Sounds like a nightmare scenario to me...imagine you're playing your senior recital and the piano is mysteriously a half step below standard pitch...what would you do?
the elephant wrote:Nope. That is the correct key for this dreadful disco Star Wars. Unfortunately, my sister owned it. I used to sit in my bedroom and play along with it and can still play it in that key. It matches what is on the tape.

Besides, has no one mentioned that she is not actually playing the melody correctly, even in her key? The first two notes do not descend in the real Star Wars, nor in this awful disco version. But she plays the first note up an octave and then descends to the second note.
I'm uncomfortable admitting it, but I owned this thing (on a 45, I think...) back in the 70s as well. The accompaniment track she used was probably supposed to be in the same key as the original Meco version (C Major), but I suspect this is a homemade version...Wade is correct in pointing out that the melody should begin with an ascending P5, but if you listen closely (especially to the second phrase), the track clearly plays the melody starting with a decending P4. The cantina theme is totally different from the Meco version, as well. The Meco version is free on the web here: http://www.blueharvest.net/sound/songs/ ... -disco.mp3

Is it possible somebody went to the trouble of a MIDI version of this, complete with sound effects like the Meco version?...Absolutely...you wouldn't believe the lengths these "pageant folk" go to in preparing for these things. Mom and Dad might have forked over several hundred to some arranger in Arizona to pump this out. Too bad the tape ran too slow...
Todd S. Malicoate
6 valves
6 valves

the elephant wrote:This is WAY before MIDI ever existed. This version hit the radio in 1977. The next two movies were released during that era. Her hair, costume and makeup scream 1980 or 1981.
Sorry if I was unclear...I meant the tape being used at the pageant was probably a MIDI creation...it bears resemblance to the Meco version but is quite different...very obvious if you follow the link I provided and listen to the Meco version online (unless there's another version of the Meco disco thing...I couldn't find one online that matches the track used by this young lady). Actually, if it is a MIDI file or (gasp!) a different studio recording, this accompaniment track is really quite well done (other than perhaps the cantina band section, which uses a pretty cheesy patch and a melody quite different from the original). I don't know why the first two notes of the melody are "backwards" on the track...maybe she had a hard time starting on the low D and the arranger adjusted the track to fit with her.
the elephant wrote:To the rest of us in this thread:

I find it really funny that so many here just assume that the tape player ran at the wrong speed. No one here assumes that she is just bad.

The disco version of Star Wars was in C as is this one. She is playing in a different key. Get out a trumpet and play with her, then play with the tape. Both are possible as both are being played in this clip.
I assume both...the tape was slow AND she is just bad. Her tone is awful, and she completely murders the low "bridge" section. That being said, my piano near the computer confirms the key of B Major from the tape. It also confirms that she is playing in C major, and pretty well in tune. Do you really think she's pushing the valves for concert Db Major? Not impossible, but certainly not very likely.
the elephant wrote:Trust me, guys. some of these psycho-mom-driven girls are so loaded up on confidence and attitude and so lacking in talent that this tape does not even phase me. I have seen this at pageants year after year after year. Remember, the bulk of the contestants are eliminated before the viewers are ever let in the door.

The crowd here is small, so it is probably a very early round to cut the bulk of the girls from consideration.

Frankly, it looks like the State-level competition for the Miss Teen USA pageant. I have played the Mississippi one several times in the past and, again, I was the reluctant "Musical Coach" to one of these girls, who was so driven that reality never once entered her head, nor the head of her awful stage mother.

Pageants are becoming more and more detached from today's social realities, and the girls are less and less the "leaders of communities" and becoming true social oddities at their schools. They get made fun of pretty roundly. This, again, is something that I have seen a lot of over the last 15 years.

Just enjoy this clip for what it is: A girl who is VERY confidently doing an awful job on her "talent" portion of a local youth beauty pageant. It is funny because she really thinks that she is hot stuff with that hop, hop, hop stuff and using the trumpet as a laser rifle that one time towards the end. If it is at all sad it is due to the fact that she KNOWS she is the best! It is not because her tape ran at the wrong speed. There is SO MUCH MORE wrong with this performance than that one thing.

If you want to put her trumpet playing into perspective, spend the same amount of time you analyzed her playing to analyze her choreography and costuming. Those should be dead giveaways that she is maxing out that smoking trumpet performance, baby! Sort of like Eunice on the Gong Show, if you are old enough to remember that little bit of Americana …

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Agreed on all points...been there, done that. Arranged the accompaniment for my sister's vocal solo at the state Junior Miss pageant way back in the day. I only wanted to point out that it's not a "I don't know this is a transposing instrument" argument, which is ridiculous. Bb trumpets sound a whole step lower than written, and she ain't flat.

Gene Gene the Dancing Machine would have had a field day with her on the original Gong Show...
Todd S. Malicoate
6 valves
6 valves

the elephant wrote:This pageant performance looks to have been from a few years later, probably 1980 or 1981 based on what she is wearing. Still three of four years from the first ever 128K Macintosh.
The linked video info on youtube says it's from 1993...maybe not accurate, but that's why I thought it might be a MIDI generated track (although you're right, they weren't common even by then and certainly didn't sound that close to real instruments like they do now). An (alleged) interview with the girl is located at http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2007/10/sta ... vealed.php., and she says it was from 1993 (could be a fake interview, though). It surely wasn't a live orchestra, not with all the sound effects and the bizarre solo instrument in the cantina section.

My confusion is still the difference between this track and the Meco version I linked before at http://www.blueharvest.net/sound/songs/ ... -disco.mp3. Listen to the link and tell me that's the same arrangement (even allowing for cutting and splicing) that's used in the pageant. Why does the melody start with a descending fourth? Listen to the video at 00:36...the melody descends just like the young lady does. Where did that ending come from? Where's R2D2's sound effect in the bridge? What about the different melody in the cantina section?

Maybe there was another disco Star Wars by Meco or someone else, but what's playing in the pageant ain't the same as the one I remember...the one linked at blueharvest seems to me to be the original.

My main point stands, though, no matter where the accompaniment track came from...she's playing in C Major, the track is in B Major. It's not a transposition issue, or the stupidity of the girl...if you think she practiced it this way and couldn't tell, good for you...I'm not buying it. You have to believe that somewhere out there was a B Major version of the Meco Star Wars medley, and she was just so tone deaf she went ahead and played in C anyway.