Valve systems

Musical clipart and multimedia
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

schlepporello wrote:They may be meant to be the next best thing, but the third and fourth valves are still turned the wrong way. For the amount of money these cost, you would think they'd position them to rotate in the same direction as the airflow, not against it.
I understand the intent of having them all turn the same way, but then again, don't the 1-2 valves on this horn close against the flow of air?

Danged if they turn one way, and danged if they turn the other, I would think.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Leland wrote:I understand the intent of having them all turn the same way, but then again, don't the 1-2 valves on this horn close against the flow of air?

Danged if they turn one way, and danged if they turn the other, I would think.
True. The only way around that (that I can see) is to make the valve index through a 90° arc (always in the same direction) every time its key is either pressed or released, rather than oscillating through the same 90° arc (in opposite directions). How to implement that is another question entirely (the valves would have to be symmetrical, for one thing, since the "in" side of the valve on one keypress would be the "out" side on the next) ... some sort of "escapement" mechanism (as in mechanical clocks and watches), perhaps?
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

That just sounds like more trouble than it's worth, though.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

It does, doesn't it?
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

So, anyway... Rotax valves (which I believe are the point of the starting post) are better than regular rotary valves, right?
TUBAMUSICIAN87
bugler
bugler

Post by TUBAMUSICIAN87 »

schlepporello wrote:Naw, like I mentioned before, Dimes are for French Horns.

so then tubas should use half dollors?