Piggy Pics

Musical clipart and multimedia
taylorbeaty
bugler
bugler

Re: Piggy Pics

Post by taylorbeaty »

Horrible pic from high school, but It's a Cerveny BBb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

the elephant wrote:Image

This is now my piggy, and it is indeed a good one - the best I've played! 8)
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Love the piggies - quick response and very nice sound. Lightly built, can pick up dents more quickly if not properly cared for.

Quite a parallel, as Bort alluded to, between the design and response between the Piggy CC and the 653 F, IMHO.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

TubaTodd wrote:
TheHatTuba wrote:Nice pig! Curious, is the thumb ring in a comfortable place, or does it just look really high?
It's comfortable.

Mine has that style thumb ring, which I've had lowered for comfort. I have rather wide palms, but using the thumb ring in its original position was still an uncomfortable stretch. Well, after having it moved, I discovered why it's placed so high: the pull ring of the 2nd slide bumps into the thumb ring - in my case -, making slide removal impossible. I've since torched and yanked off the pull ring , and can now remove the 2nd slide. :oops:
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

Is the Cerveny CCB 601 considered a piggy? I know it was mentioned earlier in this thread that only one model was ACTUALLY a piggy, but other models were "piggy like." The bell on it is a lot taller than most piggies.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The usual question is whether the 601 and Piggy the same tuba, only with a different bell. They are really close to each other, but I *think* the bows/branches are thicker on the 601 than the Piggy. Mark, is that correct?
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I got to play on the first batch of Piggies that Walter Sear brought in.John Fletcher and Paul C(Philly) had been there the day before when John dubbed them "piggies" and Paul took six with him for him and his students. I was playing on the big .835 bore C, Mark's is a B flat, and Walter told me the C's were essentially the same horn with different bells(he didn't mention the bottom bow) and Cerveny called the small one the "Opera Model"....big sound and fits in the crowded pit nicely. Which brings up the x/4 sizing system where it's called a 3/4 like a Conn2J when the bore is one of the biggest out there.According to Walter the P{iggy has the same bore size as the huge Bb that Mark pictured. The first I heard of this sizing system was at the First International Tuba Symposium in 1973 and it's purpose was to sell Rudy Meinl tubas. The salesman actually told me that the 5/4 was just like Jake's York.Let's see, they're both tubas, and they're both big and pitched in C. My personal Cerveny was at Walter's booth at the time because he didn't have any of those .835 bore horns in stock to bring down. Anyway, there's a lot of smoke and mirrors out there. I love the operatic and Greek god names. What's next, the Godzilla model? Get your orders in now the line forms on the right. Ed
The Singing Whale
mbell
bugler
bugler

Post by mbell »

58mark wrote:Both of the horns in that pic are CC tubas
I never measured the size of the branches and bows while I owned both horns (sold the piggy months ago) but I can tell you the booth bow and top branch are noticeably thicker on the 601.
Yes, the bottom and top bows are considerably larger on the 601 Kaiser than the Piggy. I easily carry my Piggy around by holding the top bow. I can't quite get a good grip on the top bow of the 601. I usually carry it by the thumb ring, which would probably support my weight in addition to the horn's weight.

Mark, sorry to hear you sold your Piggy. That might leave me now as the only member of the Piggy & Kaiser Owners Club. I don't play my Piggy much, but will play it more with Polka season coming up.

mike
Michael Bell
Austin, Texas

Cerveny 601 Kaiser(1962), Cerveny Piggy(1970s), Reynolds sousaphone (1959)
Austin Civic Wind Ensemble
Austin Brass Band
St. Edward's Orchestra
K5JMH
lurker
lurker

Post by K5JMH »

Just purchased this CC Piggy yesterday and it is on its way to me. Should be here next week. I am looking forward to playing on this guy.

Just from a quick look, it appears to be a mid to late 80's piggy with new paddles. Not much other info on it.
B&S PT-5P ● Weril CC ● Mirafone 186CC ● B&S Symphonie F ● Cerveny "Piggy" CC
K5JMH
lurker
lurker

Post by K5JMH »

Yes it is and it is on a truck headed to Houston! It gets to join the rest of my horns...

K5JMH
lurker
lurker

Post by K5JMH »

Received my Piggy CC today and it plays great, with the right mouthpiece. My PT-86, which has a slightly smaller than European shank, plays great on this horn, as does my PT-50s. It appears that the horn had the paddles changed out. The first 3 paddles appear to be the same and the 4th is thinner and has a different design.

Played lots of long tones to find the tuning, played some etudes, and worked with my son on his Euphonium Solo for UIL Solo and Ensemble.

I am looking to forward to playing the piggy at a rehearsal tomorrow night.

Here it is next to my 5/4 B&S CC.

*** Had this guy over a year now and still love it!

Last edited by K5JMH on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

I picked up this Piggy yesterday. (Pardon the mess on my shop/practice room floor.)
Piggy.jpg