Carson tuba tribute?

Musical clipart and multimedia
Captain Sousie
4 valves
4 valves

Carson tuba tribute?

Post by Captain Sousie »

Due to the recent thread on the off-topic forum about Carson, would it be possible to do a Johnny Carson with tuba pic?

Thank you,
Sousie
I am not Mr. Holland, and you are not my opus!
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Carson tuba tribute

Post by TubaRay »

I hope someone out there will take this challenge on.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Captain Sousie
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Captain Sousie »

bloke wrote:I wonder how many folks realize that Johnny Carson had Roger Bobo on his show (at least twice, I believe) to perform as a soloist.
I did not know that. That is really great to hear. I wish there was more of that nowadays
I am not Mr. Holland, and you are not my opus!
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Grooving for Heaven wrote:I remember that, and I also have on video somewhere the guy who played Biff from back to the future come on his show with a sousaphone and 5 minutes of tuba humor. It was great.
I remember that -- he goes, "And now, I'm going to play 'The Stars And Stripes Forever'..." Then he starts swinging back and forth, going *BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT*, and says, "Hey, what do you expect, it's the tuba part!"

Really funny.

Dang it, I missed Johnny since '92, and I'm missing him all over again.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Leland wrote:
Grooving for Heaven wrote:I remember that, and I also have on video somewhere the guy who played Biff from back to the future come on his show with a sousaphone and 5 minutes of tuba humor. It was great.
I remember that -- he goes, "And now, I'm going to play 'The Stars And Stripes Forever'..." Then he starts swinging back and forth, going *BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT*, and says, "Hey, what do you expect, it's the tuba part!"

Really funny.

Dang it, I missed Johnny since '92, and I'm missing him all over again.
I also remember when he took a request and someone shouted out Moon River and he proceeded to sing/hum it through the tuba...

Yes, Johnny was great.

It funny that bloke mentions that the only guy that he can expect to watch and be funny is Conan. Conan is the only guy left with a really good band. Leno's band is useless, they don't even play the show off anymore, and when they do play it is fairly awful. Letterman's band is a notch up, and they at least play tunes that have a funny relationship to the guest who is being played on. They goof around and seem to not take things too seriously. The Max Weinberg Seven, Conan's Band, is very good, with a solid trumpet player who can play guitar, a good woodwind doubler, and La Bamba is one hell of a 'bone player who gets goofed on quite a bit.

If anyone took a queue from Johnny on how to have a good band and interact with them in a comedic way, it was Conan.

I can only wait until Leno "retires", then Conan will be on at a more reasonable time. I just hope he doesn't move out to La-La Land to do the show.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165