Sousaphone wipes out TV camera

Musical clipart and multimedia
dave_matheson
bugler
bugler

Sousaphone wipes out TV camera

Post by dave_matheson »

OK, this is kinda funny. Some pretty good "high-stepping" while packing a brass Sousaphone ... not bad !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGxDBaNSik" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by dave_matheson on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(1959) Besson 8-10 model 222 (BBb 3 valve auto comp.) with a 24" recording bell
(1966) Holton BBb Sousaphone, fiberglass
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Sousaphone wipes out TV cameraman

Post by Dan Schultz »

That video has been around the block a time or two. The camera man may have been a little too close but that was vicious. He didn't deserve that and it certainly wasn't funny.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
dave_matheson
bugler
bugler

Re: Sousaphone wipes out TV camera

Post by dave_matheson »

Yeah ? New to me ... and still funny.
Last edited by dave_matheson on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

Any good sports cameraman should have known how the Sousaphone player would move during the famous "Dotting the I" - it has happened for years.
TubaSteve
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaSteve »

TubaTinker wrote:That video has been around the block a time or two. The camera man may have been a little too close but that was vicious. He didn't deserve that and it certainly wasn't funny.

I am with you Dan, I don't find that funny either. Too close or not, to smack someone like that could have really injured him for what purpose. Dumb move! I don't see any value in risking damage to your horn either. Maybe I am one of those rare folks who when they played a school owned horn treated it like it was their own and took care of it. As athletic as he was, he could have easily stopped half way down and still dotted the "I".

Steve
MW-25, 2-Reynolds 170 (BBb Recording Bass), Reynolds 180 (EEb Recording Bass) , 2-Reynolds 140 Sousaphones, Holton 350, others.....
Chasetbr
bugler
bugler

Post by Chasetbr »

[/quote]
As athletic as he was, he could have easily stopped half way down and still dotted the "I". [/quote]

As an ohioan who has gone to summer sessions in hopes of trying out for the OSU marching band next year I would like to disagree that the sousaphone player was at fault. The act of dotting the i takes so much time and effort to get to that point. If I was in his position I would not break tradition and "half ***" on of the greatest moments of my life. In summer sessions we were told to drive through our decisions. We were told that if someone is doing something wrong and they were in your way to take them out. I on several occasions ran into people with my horn to push them out of the way. You have to have the upmost confidence in yourself. Without this self drive they could not pull off their amazing feats.
Miraphone 186 BBb
King 625 baritone
Custom bass flugelhorn
Dillion double trigger bass trombone
Chinese Superbone
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

OK, I'm going to take a totally different approach: practice, practice, practice. The souzy player has practiced that move all season for the big show until it is automatic, and he has to make a big show of it so everyone in the bowl stadium can see it. It is part of their tradition. He is on autopilot at this point. I don't think he even saw the cameraman.

I have absolutely no sympathy for cameramen who get in the way. If he got injured, it is regrettable, but it happens.

It is not funny. No injury on the field, whether player, a referee who gets run over from time to time, a bandsman, cameraman or support staff, is justified, and must be treated with respect. But just like cameramen get taken out occasionally on pass plays trying to get shot of the receiver catching the ball at the corner of the end zone, this is no different. It is a calculated risk of the game. The cameraman knows this. Or if he didn't, he does now.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tubamat487
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubamat487 »

I'm no lip reader, but it looks like he yells "watch out" right before he takes the bow. It's not funny, and I'm sure it wasn't malicious.

If my job was to clean the train tracks, I wouldn't blame the conductor when he turned me into pink mist. Unfortunate, but don't stand on the tracks when the train is coming through.
Mat Murphy
dave_matheson
bugler
bugler

Post by dave_matheson »

Here's two more camera angles that clearly show that the cameraman was (a) not struck, and (b) not injured.

The rim of the Sousaphone's bell caught the LENS FILTER of the TV camera, knocking it off. The Cameraman quickly grabbed the lens filter off the turf, and beat a hasty retreat. The cameraman chose the location and angle he wanted to film from, and as such if it was a "place of danger", it was his decision to put himself in it, but all of that is moot.

Bottom line, the cameraman was not struck by the Sousaphone, nor was he injured. The previous commenters that were shocked & offended & outraged can chill out now. It's a FUNNY video clip after all ... HO HO HO HA HA HA !!!

Click on link to additional camera angles --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmtwb8JjeHU" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

dave_matheson wrote:Here's two more camera angles that clearly show that the cameraman was (a) not struck, and (b) not injured.

The rim of the Sousaphone's bell caught the LENS FILTER of the TV camera, knocking it off. The Cameraman quickly grabbed the lens filter off the turf, and beat a hasty retreat. The cameraman chose the location and angle he wanted to film from, and as such if it was a "place of danger", it was his decision to put himself in it, but all of that is moot.

Bottom line, the cameraman was not struck by the Sousaphone, nor was he injured. The previous commenters that were shocked & offended & outraged can chill out now. It's a FUNNY video clip after all ... HO HO HO HA HA HA !!!

Click on link to additional camera angles --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmtwb8JjeHU" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Whatever.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
KevinMadden
3 valves
3 valves

Post by KevinMadden »

Can't view Youtube (on work internet) but is this the video form about 2009 or so? I blame the camera guy, he was filming the sousaphone player, clearly with knowledge of the very famous 'dotting the I' which was about to happen. A bit immature on the part of the player? maybe. But he did try to warn the camera guy, and in thinking back to my drum corps days, if a judge was in your face when your horn was about to be snapped down, you yelled a warning, and then made the move. The choreography trumped any other considerations. As somewhat less than mature high schoolers, my contra section extended this concept to car side view mirrors that decided to park on parade routes on parade days :evil:
Ithaca College, B.M. 2009
University of Nebraska - Lincoln, M.M. 2017, D.M.A. 2020
Wessex Artiste
Wessex "Grand" BBb, Wessex Solo Eb, Wessex Dulce