Plastic fantastic?

Musical clipart and multimedia
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Plastic fantastic?

Post by pjv »

About the plastic sousaphone sound excuse; there is some viability in this.
Plastics, to my ears, carry less highs in their frequencies. I've noticed that a pBone by itself or without other brass instruments sounds like a trombone, but together with other brass instruments the blend isn't what I'm used to.

Sousaphones (which are partially brass) have this as well. One of the things that makes it workable is that I'm used to it. I've heard it many times before and I know this sound. The other aspect that makes a plastic sousaphone usable is function. A sousaphone is mostly working the bass function so less highs won't necessarily hinder that work (and may even help it).

Would an audience find the sound of a plastic tuba undesirable in an orchestra setting (let's forget for now what we see)? Or could one use it in the pit? On a recording? Who knows. If it plays in tune and the valves are up to par I could see using it in amplified situations.

Lots of "if's", but times are a changin' so I don't see non-brass brass instruments ever going away. It's up to us to utilize anything and everything that can help to step up our game (and keep it affordable!).
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

PMeuph wrote:
UncleBeer wrote:
opus37 wrote:At around $950 plus over $300 shipping, I do not see this as a good value.
Wouldn't you have to hear this instrument in person in order to make this statement? Or have you?

For me, I don't see this as good value as:

1. A market price hasn't yet settled (Once supply increases we'll get a better idea of what a fair price is)
2. $1250 is a significant purchase. (Unlike the Pbone which is priced a $150 and that is an amount of money that I can be less careful with (ie. a Days pay vs a weeks pay)) (Although for some it might be 2 days pay vs 2 weeks pay)
3. The stigma will certainly be strong against them before they become a bit more mainstream...
And what if it plays well? That certainly seems like it should go into the 'value' equation.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

UncleBeer wrote:
And what if it plays well? That certainly seems like it should go into the 'value' equation.
Probably....

Honestly, to expand my second point, there are many tubas that can be had for under $1250 that play well. Granted, they're not professional tubas, but the market they're competing in is about the same as this one. (ie. 3-4 valve BBb tubas new and used destined for the student market)

Why is price so important in my consideration of value: Well, I have a price point for each tuba where I would consider it valuable. Price point and playability intersect and there is a maximum for any tuba.(There's a thread from several years back where others "sorta" discussed similar ideas) A plastic tuba, no matter how well it plays is not worth $1250 in my book(For the reasons listed above). Further, I just don't see the need/use I could get out of such an instrument. The instances where I play tuba for money exist , but I know I could not use a plastic tuba for that and they lend me a Miraphone EEb, so I don't complain....

[tangent]Simlarly, I don't think a a Yamayork is a good value. No matter how well it plays.... :shock: (It's probably too good for me anyways) A similar sized "york" tuba, that others have gotten as good of sounds out of, can be had for half the price....Playability is a factor, but it is not in my judgement, a reason to exclude price point.. [/tangent]

Obviously, all this is also based on my current needs (see above) and my current financial situation (good enough to afford on of these tubas) and lastly my overall experience with plastic instruments (Fibreglass sousaphone, pbone, tiger trumpet)

All that said: I think the plastic tuba is a great addition, once the price point lowers (as will happen when more distributors import these, I think they will increase in value ...
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Again: To opine as to 'value' without knowing how these play seems . . . premature. They might sound great which would of course make them a great value.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

UncleBeer wrote:Again: To opine as to 'value' without knowing how these play seems . . . premature. They might sound great which would of course make them a great value.
Fair enough. But, as I believe I've tried to emphasize, value is a *personal* judgement. (The words "I" and "For me", are abundant in my previous posts)
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
I emailed the company. They responded that no plastic CC tuba right now and the dealer who imports the BBb tuba in the USA is:

Bill Everitt
Universal Melody Services LLC
d.b.a. Brook Mays Music/H&H Music
8605 Carpenter Freeway
Dallas, TEXAS 75247
Direct: 214 905 4950
Phone: 800 637 8966 ext 80469
Fax: 214 905 5031
billeveritt@brookmays.com" target="_blank

I contacted them -Brook Mays-and they have a red prototype Tiger plastic BBb tuba in stock but it was received with two damaged parts, which they are waiting replacement parts for. Price will $960.00.
Mark

Mark
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Couldn't they just sell it the way it is for half the price and give the buyer a free bottle of Super Glue?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Here's another one. Doesn't sound too bad, really, and it's kind of a cool idea. I think they look ridiculous, but what prototype doesn't? (Although, I think fiberglass sousaphones also look ridiculous. :)) Regardless, I appreciate the innovation and new ideas. Personally, I'll be sticking with brass, no matter what.

THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

the elephant wrote:I don't GAS what anyone thinks. I am getting one because they are cool
Finally someone is making sense around here.
[/post]
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

If they came in the Kelly mouthpiece "Harvest Gold" plastic, I think there would be a lot less resistance to these.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

58mark wrote:I always thought the Conn 56j in Satin lacquer had that look

If I ever had the loot to refurbish my Marzan, that is exactly the finish I would get on it.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

That tuba has an oddly familiar luster to it...

I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.