Tiger Plastic Tuba review Bookmark and Share

Musical clipart and multimedia

Re: Tiger Plastic Tuba review

Postby hup_d_dup » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:47 am

imperialbari wrote:Had been a bit more informative had the tuba been tested by more experienced tubists.

Not a tubist, but certainly an experienced musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLAHSgZaMU0"

Hup
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby WC8KCY » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 am

I am hoping someone will post a video of the Tiger played with an experienced tubist's finesse, with a well-matched mouthpiece.

All I'm hearing now is blat, blat, blat.
King 1165 "Artist" baritone - Yamaha YEP-321S euphonium
'29 Holton Monster E-flat tuba - '37 Martin Indiana E-flat sousaphone
WC8KCY
bugler
bugler

Postby MartyNeilan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:57 pm

WC8KCY wrote:I am hoping someone will post a video of the Tiger played with an experienced tubist's finesse, with a well-matched mouthpiece.

All I'm hearing now is blat, blat, blat.

MartyNeilan wrote:I also found this video that gives a better characteristic sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mrtEsQYDJs

When the recorder (probably a cellphone) moves away from the instrument, the sound is pretty decent. Up close, there is distortion on the attacks. (Kudos to the tuba player for playing with a strong crisp attack.)
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Location: I play the tuba and ride a motorcycle. Hi, I'm your new neighbor!

Postby Jose the tuba player » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:06 pm

MartyNeilan wrote:
Jose the tuba player wrote:I have a video of scott sutherland http://forums.chisham.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=20 playing the tiger tuba at namm but it is really bad quality.
i tried three at namm and only one of the three actually worked, the salesman told me it would be 800 retail and about 400 for those that would resell these tubas.

Please explain what you mean by only one of the three actually worked - is it valves sticking, leaks, something else?
(Often instruments at shows have issues due to improper handling, lack of oiling, etc)

The video i took looks fine on my phone but when i played it on my pc it looked like 144p
and there were three tiger tubas , 2 black ones and one red one.
The first tiger tuba (which scott played) was fine except the fourth valve paddle was a bit lower than the rest.
the red one i tried was leaking from the second valve and it was unplayable.
the other black tuba was horrible, the 3rd and fourth valves were stuck they were way to stiff to move.
the tiger tuba is ridiculously light it weighs nothing! i remember throwing it up in the air a little and the salesman freaked.
i think it was decent, not something i would pay 800-1000 for, as scott was saying after the video what purpose do these actually serve at the price?
WTB OLDS SOUSAPHONE WITH 20 INCH BELL
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Donn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Tubahokk wrote:I have a question from the video about the playing of the plastic tuba. Not trying to be smart as the guy is very good, but when playing, he really puffs out his cheeks. I have always been told that that is self defeating technique. Any comments on that?

My personal take on this is, a little movement in the cheeks might be OK, a lot is not. Don't be like this trumpet player -
great player, but he has messed up his face. That probably goes beyond what could even theoretically happen playing tuba, but anyway. However, I'm some dolt with a computer on the internet, and if you have been getting instruction from a bona fide teacher actually present in the room, whatever he or she says is very likely more on target than my BS.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby toobagrowl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 am

I hear a slight buzzing or rattling sound when that tuba is played.

The real test will be when a good tuba player plays that tuba in an ensemble setting to get a better idea of how it blends, projects, etc.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Alex C » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:40 am

I found one through Ali Baba, it was around $500 but shipping was also $500. I would have taken a chance with a dodgy seller for $500 but not $1000. I'll wait until they are selling in the US for under $800. Guess, I'll have to re-learn BBb fingerings. :cry:
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby dmmorris » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:43 am

^ +1 ...I'll probably get one after the bugs are worked-out and the price is lower / more reasonable....it's plastic after all!
beta 14??..........OK!

Mid 70's B&S Tuba, 6-valve, BBb
1921 Conn Helicon, 4-valve, BBb
dmmorris
3 valves
3 valves

Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.

Postby the elephant » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 pm

Email from the makers:

Hi Mr.Wade Rackley,

Thank you for interested in Tiger plastic instruments.

US retailers have not been determined yet. If you'd like purchase now, place an order on our website and state color option.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Zhong Qiang

Rheinsound (Beijing) Musical Instrument Co.,Ltd
2-7F Meilin Garden 33# Zi-Zhu-Yuan Rd
Beijing P.R.CHINA 100089
Tel: 86-10-885 501 99
Fax: 86-10-885 504 37
http://www.rheinsoundmusic.com

No mention of price in the email. The price on their website was like $1100 last time I looked. That was without shipping. I think that is their equivalent of MSRP and the Alibaba price is more accurate. However, until someone in the US decides to import them in bulk the shipping will still stay very high, price and shipping dropping as order size increases, as with anything else like this. They are not interested in selling to us directly, so stuff is set high. I wonder who will end up seriously marketing these things and what the price will end up being.
WARNING: Never post your tuba's serial number without an XX at the end. This throws the crooks off the scent. True story.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Three Valves » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Mack Plastic??
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby MartyNeilan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:50 pm

the elephant wrote:Email from the makers:

Hi Mr.Wade Rackley,

US retailers have not been determined yet. If you'd like purchase now, place an order on our website and state color option.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Zhong Qiang

Rheinsound (Beijing) Musical Instrument Co.,Ltd
2-7F Meilin Garden 33# Zi-Zhu-Yuan Rd
Beijing P.R.CHINA 100089
Tel: 86-10-885 501 99
Fax: 86-10-885 504 37
http://www.rheinsoundmusic.com" target="_blank

No mention of price in the email. The price on their website was like $1100 last time I looked. That was without shipping. I think that is their equivalent of MSRP and the Alibaba price is more accurate. However, until someone in the US decides to import them in bulk the shipping will still stay very high, price and shipping dropping as order size increases, as with anything else like this. They are not interested in selling to us directly, so stuff is set high. I wonder who will end up seriously marketing these things and what the price will end up being.

Wade,
There is a link in my previous post, that included price:
MartyNeilan wrote:It looks like you could order one from here:
http://www.rheinsoundmusic.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=22&id=8
If I had $960 lying around with nothing better to do I would give it a try, but the $350 shipping is a bummer.

This would make a great "scooter tuba" if the price and quality were right.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Postby apsapienza » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:59 pm

they already had rotors on the horn, why didn't they put a 5th valve on this thing?
Angelo Paul Sapienza
Assistant Director of Instrumental Music
Rampart High School

B&S MRP CC-S
Adams Solo F-S
apsapienza
bugler
bugler

Postby Ulli » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:34 pm

the elephant wrote:No mention of price in the email. The price on their website was like $1100 last time I looked.

Look at 'How is the NAMM show?'

Rheinsound (Beijing) Musical Instrument Co.,Ltd. wrote to me:
Hello Mr. ,
We are going to exhibit on NAMM show. Frankfurt music show have not been confirmed yet.
Net weight of tuba is 5.5kg. Price is $960, freight extra.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.
Best regards,
Zhong Qiang

Could anyone test that tuba for me and all interested persons here?
Thank you.
Ulli
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bisontuba » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Ulli wrote:
the elephant wrote:No mention of price in the email. The price on their website was like $1100 last time I looked.

Look at 'How is the NAMM show?'

Rheinsound (Beijing) Musical Instrument Co.,Ltd. wrote to me:
Hello Mr. ,
We are going to exhibit on NAMM show. Frankfurt music show have not been confirmed yet.
Net weight of tuba is 5.5kg. Price is $960, freight extra.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.
Best regards,
Zhong Qiang

Could anyone test that tuba for me and all interested persons here?
Thank you.
Ulli

Hi-
NAMM has come & gone. Unless someone brings one to the Army Tuba Conf. or an ITEA Regional Conf., maybe the Texas Conference (TMEA) might have one there via Brook Mays....
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby tuben » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:48 pm

apsapienza wrote:they already had rotors on the horn, why didn't they put a 5th valve on this thing?

Speaking of which.... The video made me not feel so bad about the slightly clanky valves on my Alex as it has 40+ years on that tiger.
tuben

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:52 pm

If they have one at TMEA , you bet your sweet bippy I'll be testing it out.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Deleted dp » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:36 pm

Jose the tuba player wrote:i tried three at namm and only one of the three actually worked, the salesman told me it would be 800 retail and about 400 for those that would resell these tubas.
That is a ringing endorsement...(yes that was a "pun") :shock:
why would anyone buy something from someone who didn't even know enough to bring playable samples? What happened to the days when show horns were the best current examples of the model you wanted to try? Answer: salesmen can (even) still know less than their (intended) market...not a very flattering situation.
Deleted dp

Postby the elephant » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:08 pm

DP wrote:
Jose the tuba player wrote:i tried three at namm and only one of the three actually worked, the salesman told me it would be 800 retail and about 400 for those that would resell these tubas.
That is a ringing endorsement...(yes that was a "pun") :shock:
why would anyone buy something from someone who didn't even know enough to bring playable samples? What happened to the days when show horns were the best current examples of the model you wanted to try? Answer: salesmen can (even) still know less than their (intended) market...not a very flattering situation.

Try to buy a Jeep Wrangler and ask the salesman how to raise and lower the soft top or how to remove the hard top. Ask what the swaybar disconnects and lockers on the Rubicon actually do. Then ask for a demonstration of all this. Chances are that he will manage to un-sell the vehicle. I already knew just about everything to know about my Jeep prior to walking onto the lot. I bought it in under 30 minutes at a decent price. The salesperson managed to badly damage a demo vehicle in the process and learned to either steer her "ups" away from Wranglers or to learn more about Wranglers. (She disconnected and locked up in 4WD and then drove me all over the area in parking lots and in traffic. She smoked the clutch and lockers and put visible divots in the rear tires from all the wheel hop she forced on the vehicle. It was epic. Obviously I purchased a different example that only had 2 miles on the odo and still had the packing plastic on everything.) :twisted:

Most instrument salesmen today seem to be like this. They only know the barest of minimums, usually for the top selling items only. The other "stuff" is that "stuff" that his boss made him drag to the show that he will make zero commission from. So why bother learning anything about stuff that will only waste your time? This is the normal attitude these days. I remember when buying a demo tuba meant that it was probably a super fine example. Back then you had to wait until the circuit of shows was over so they no longer needed this superb, hand-picked example. Now I see horns at shows that play like crap and are not actually fully functional.

Whatever. We are willfully teaching our kids to be like this; we do this to ourselves. :shock:
WARNING: Never post your tuba's serial number without an XX at the end. This throws the crooks off the scent. True story.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby MartyNeilan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:33 pm

the elephant wrote:Try to buy a Jeep Wrangler and ask the salesman how to raise and lower the soft top or how to remove the hard top. Ask what the swaybar disconnects and lockers on the Rubicon actually do. Then ask for a demonstration of all this. Chances are that he will manage to un-sell the vehicle. I already knew just about everything to know about my Jeep prior to walking onto the lot. I bought it in under 30 minutes at a decent price. The salesperson managed to badly damage a demo vehicle in the process and learned to either steer her "ups" away from Wranglers or to learn more about Wranglers. (She disconnected and locked up in 4WD and then drove me all over the area in parking lots and in traffic. She smoked the clutch and lockers and put visible divots in the rear tires from all the wheel hop she forced on the vehicle. It was epic. Obviously I purchased a different example that only had 2 miles on the odo and still had the packing plastic on everything.) :twisted:

Most instrument salesmen today seem to be like this. They only know the barest of minimums, usually for the top selling items only. The other "stuff" is that "stuff" that his boss made him drag to the show that he will make zero commission from. So why bother learning anything about stuff that will only waste your time? This is the normal attitude these days. I remember when buying a demo tuba meant that it was probably a super fine example. Back then you had to wait until the circuit of shows was over so they no longer needed this superb, hand-picked example. Now I see horns at shows that play like crap and are not actually fully functional.

Whatever. We are willfully teaching our kids to be like this; we do this to ourselves. :shock:

How true. One of the reasons for the dismal sale of the electric Leaf vehicle is because salesmen don't want to be bothered charging them. They also actively dissuade customers from purchasing them due to additional paperwork involved (because of the charging station that may be installed in their home.)
I have heard way too many reports of $$,$$$ instruments at shows not working just because they need their valves or slides lubricated, or some other simple routine maintenance.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Postby orleansjon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Donn wrote:
Don't be like this trumpet player -

i saw that you followed up with he's a "great player," Donn, but the phrase you were looking for is "Grammy Award Winning player."

Shezbie didn't damage the muscle in his cheek by puffing them while playing. (If that's what happens then Dizzie would've had to hold both cheeks!)

Shezbie played LOUDLY, for many years. Plain and simple.

So puff if it works for you. Everybody is different.
orleansjon
bugler
bugler

PreviousNext

Return to Media