Post by vd8m9 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwsBfMxEXV0" target="_blank

Quite amazing, if you ask me.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Korean Wonder Boy plays Tuba

Post by imperialbari »

I stopped watching it. Heard no fire, no urge to perform.

Klaus
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

imperialbari wrote:I stopped watching it. Heard no fire, no urge to perform.
Klaus
I respectfully disagree. The overall "cantabile" or "tone poem" nature of the piece lent itself to the more legato rather than a marcato approach. Yes, there could have been some more dynamics in the phrasing, but the dynamic did rise and fall appropriately in the phrases, with observable proper differences in the articulations in the places that needed to be played legato or slurred, and the more marked passages. There was proper slight use of vibrato on long notes, and overall excellent articulation and pitch. I do agree that there was some loss of focus and breath support in the near-pedal and pedal sections that take more air and focus. That was simply the function of the limitations of his current physical stature, which are right now at the limit of his ability, but which he will definitely grow into. Hey, it's a tuba. To get enough air flowing properly, even I, as a full grown adult with significant musical experience, including some professional gigs, have trouble getting "fire" with my barely-adequate lung capacity!

We must also remember we did not hear it live, so there will be compression and the attendant loss of perceived dynamic range when recorded and re-broadcast.

At a state school music contest, if I were the judge, he would definitely get a "1+" rating from me.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Of course I won’t.

I listened through the full video. Right notes. OK intonation. But phrases not really carried through their last note. No advocacy why this music has to be played. Maybe interesting listening for some tubists, but wonderboy? Would this performance catch interest outside tuba circles?

Not that my point of view is original at all. Reading about the recent DC low brass conference here on TN presented similar thoughts to my eyes.

Even bloke has written here on TN that he rarely selects tuba music, when he listens for the sake of his own enjoyment.

Klaus
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Sounds great, and was a well-recorded performance as well. VERY sharp articulations and hit almost all the notes... and then did what he could with the music. Yes, it sounds a little robotic and almost synthesized at times... but at 14, this is just about the best you can ask for.

Other players at 14 may have a stronger focus on the music and emotion, and then continue to develop their technical proficiency. Which way is best? Who knows, they're probably both just fine.

I would guess that this student is a result of starting very young, and being extremely disciplined about practice and technical proficiency.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

viewtopic.php?p=7324#p7324

An old posting of mine. You may go down to Lew's question to me, which you replied to.

It is not soulfulness I am missing in the Korean video. It is elementary building and carrying through of phrase structures. The playing likely is better than what many tuba youngsters of the same age could come up with, but wonderboy? No way.

Klaus
John Banther
bugler
bugler

Post by John Banther »

My wife was playing trombone in the orchestra, and in that concert. Yes, he is amazing! She told me about him after that concert, everyone loved him.

His teacher was trying to get him to do some studies in the USA.
Miraphone Artist, Parker Mouthpieces Artist. Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass, host on WETA 90.9 Washington. http://www.JohnBanther.com
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I will repeat the inherent limitations on non-studio recording, and that with the necessary compression, that the performance live will have sounded much better than the wide-field recording edited and compressed for re-broadcast.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
CA Transplant
bugler
bugler

Post by CA Transplant »

I don't expect kids to have an adult's experience in interpreting music. I thought that kid played extremely well for his age. I listened to the performance and didn't really find anything I'd fault someone his age for in it. Instead, I saw someone who has achieved some pretty solid technical skills on his instrument. As he matures, he'll use those to develop his interpretations and will be even better, I'm sure.

I wish him every success, and hope he continues to develop over the years.
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

I liked this a lot. I saw many times where he seemed to feel it. His tone is great. He is much better on tuba than I ever was.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Would it be fair to say that some of this discussion is about the difference between music performance as accomplishment, and music as art/entertainment?

I didn't listen even as long as Klaus, but for me the lack of a draw starts with the piece itself. I know many people find accomplishment per se more entertaining, than I do, and for all I know this piece fits into kind of a genre that addresses this niche.
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

I was always taught it was wrong to play with fire.

[/post]