Discussing the Adams Custom Euphonium

Musical clipart and multimedia
dwerden
pro musician
pro musician

Discussing the Adams Custom Euphonium

Post by dwerden »

In 2012 I switched to an Adams Euphonium. There are so many options with Adams it can be confusing, and I can't count the number of times I've been asked about metals, metal thickness, finish, etc. I finally made this video to talk about it a bit. I cover the basic Adams choices and also the customizations I added to mine. This was neither requested nor remunerated by Adams, by the way.

Sorry about all the edits you'll see, but it was several minutes longer when I first went in to edit it! That's what happens when I do something unscripted. (Those of you who know me are probably aware of this trait already.)

It was fun to do. I confess I'm a little like a kid in a toy store with this - it's not very often we have so many choices off the rack and can also easily add some of our own. Sometimes I think it's too confusing, and to some extent it is, but in early days of my career I would just order a Besson, for example, and have a choice of silver or lacquer. Maybe. And it was even hard to get bright silver in the USA during those days. Now we have a gazillion brands and models to pick from. Wow!

For tuba players, some of this would still apply to the Adams tuba line, but I think the euphoniums have more options at this point.

The video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpVaEa5WHmU
Dave Werden (ASCAP)
www.dwerden.com
Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
YouTube, Twitter, Facebook