The better AJ RVW recording is now online

Musical clipart and multimedia
Frank Byrne
bugler
bugler

Re: The better AJ RVW recording is now online

Post by Frank Byrne »

Two comments:

1) I think many people know about the very adverse conditions in which the DG recording under Barenboim was made.

2) That having been said, if you can play it better, congratulations! You are in rare company.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

I have always thoroughly enjoyed this recording since I first listened to it in college about 25 years ago. It's gotta lotta personality and style. I enjoyed listening to it again when it was posted here.

Jacobs isn't Bobo and Bobo isn't Jacobs. And that's a good thing for both of them.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Jake did the vast majority of his work on his C York. There is a recording of him playing the first movement of the VW in his studio on his Holton copy which seems to have been his "beater" horn that he used for more hazardous things like Midwest and the First International Tuba Symposium were the risk to the horn is greater. The recording is on a CD called Portrait of an Artist and he plays it beautifully. On his beater C. I know it's written for Bass tuba but he probably would've been better served to have done it on the York His comfort zone. Listen to the Bozza Sonatine on the same CD. As to the time frame and evolving interpitations John Fletcher recorded it in 72' with Previn on RCA.The recording is gorgeous. And although he sounded great on his big Holton C his comfort zone, like most Brits then was Eb. The CSO VW recordings are definitely not up to Jake's usual standards but fortunately there are plenty of recordings of him that are stellar. Ed
The Singing Whale