It's not about the...

Musical clipart and multimedia
largobone
bugler
bugler

Re: It's not about the...

Post by largobone »

It's not about the hard work, practice, and complete dedication. (It's about cheating and letting down anyone who ever looked up to you just so you could go a little faster)
MM DePaul University
bass trombone, Evanston Symphony
trombone, Ohio Light Opera
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

It's about the money.

I can't believe this jerk has a new book out. What a fraud. How can he even show his face. I wonder if all those sponsors like USPS/Nike/Gatorade etc. were able to claw back the tens of millions they gave him. The worst part of all this is the let down to cancer suffers especially the young kids who got so much inspiration from this guy and his recovery from cancer. They think now that it is probable his particular cancer (testicular) was from the drugs he was using.

I'm a cyclist and this guy really was a blow for the cycling community which has had one champion after another turn out to be a doper. I work out with a guy who came out of North Texas State and was a professional jazz pianist until he lost a good part of his hearing at age 29 so he went back to school and got an MD and now specializes in scientific sports medicine especially measuring and maximizing cyclists ability to meet their theoretical maximum outputs for their particular body like lactate thresholds. And he always thought Lance was cheating as he way exceeded what the maximum potential numbers and output for his body would be.

I wonder if he still has any contact with Sheryl Crow
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

It's not about the nail!

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

BTW, I think it's fine that Lance wants to put out a book, but I think it's too soon and people haven't forgotten about this stuff enough yet. This is America, and it's "only" drugs and lying. Americans often have a short memory for very important things, and an even shorter memory for less important things like this. Lance was sleazy and did a very bad thing. I could care less if he put out a book -- I don't blame him, I blame the publisher that said "okay" to the project.

Hrmm... sounds like Lance has a future in politics. :roll:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I'd nail that.

Even with the nail!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

bort wrote: "only" drugs and lying.
Unfortunately it isn't "just" drugs & lying. Lance transcended sports. Remember when virtually everybody around the world was wearing a yellow rubber bracelet? And it wasn't just for a month. It was for a decade. Lance "won" seven Tour de Frances and the after glow lasted several more years until he was outed. His foundation raised over $500 million dollars for cancer research. Who doesn't have/had several folks close to them whose lives were cut short with cancer. That fundraising has disappeared in the after wake of his exposed cheating as well as the intimidation/threats to anybody who dared to challenge him. And then there is the cynicism that comes from such a high profile failure who had been the poster boy for competing fairly. This guy had a wide audience way beyond just cycling. Sheryl Crow used to talk about how Armstrong's celebrity dwarfed rock stars.

Americans often have a short memory for very important things, and an even shorter memory for less important things like this.
Less important? Like it or not sports is huge in the US and dwarfs anything and everything else. While I'm not a fan of the idolization of these guys by not only kids but adults as well - a lot of people do take their cues from these guys. It's staggering when you see the studies of students over the years and whether or not they cheat and is it ok to cheat. The percentages get higher every year that say it is acceptable as long as you don't get caught. Then they grow up and become the executive that decides its ok to put a defective part in your car/pacemaker/etc. because the cost of the lawsuit is less than what you save by spending more for the better part. They see guys like Lance and think well it's a fair trade for that kind of fame and fortune and I'm smarter/clever and won't get caught.

You also have to remember that cycling in the US is a minor sport but in other places like Europe it is like baseball or football here and they won't forget the Lance debacle in your lifetime.