Bach Cello Suite No. 1 recording

Musical clipart and multimedia
Drbuzzz
pro musician
pro musician

Bach Cello Suite No. 1 recording

Post by Drbuzzz »

Friends, I'm very happy to finally post this recording I did of Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 (transcribed to D major by Ralph Sauer). I used my Nirschl York copy 6/4 CC tuba with a Laskey 30H mouthpiece and Manhasset music stand. This started out as the cornerstone to a CD project, but after much contemplation, I have decided I'd rather have lots of "listens" and "shares" instead of boxes of unsold CDs laying around. Please share it freely with friends, colleagues and students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoGhYWxzAzY" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I included a link to some words of wisdom from Roger Bobo concerning Bach Cello Suites and this particular transcription near the bottom of the "notes".
Andrew Miller
Alabama Symphony Orchestra
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: Bach Cello Suite No. 1 recording

Post by Michael Bush »

Andy, you turned off commenting! So now we don't get to read the wisdom of all the middle-schoolers telling you how wrong you are. That's half the fun! :wink:

(I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it.)
groovlow
bugler
bugler

Post by groovlow »

Info links:

http://www.rogerbobo.com/musical_articles/bach.shtml" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://www.brassmusic.net/en/bach-cello ... ombone-395

Cello Suites, I find are fun to play (mess with)> I've never messed with the Sauer arr. but I'm intrigued.

Looking forward to hearing your recording, maybe today after some coffee, I'll hook the computer up to my sound system.
Joe
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Very good playing, Andy! Thanks for sharing.

Ace
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Fantastic! Lovely tone. The hardest part of these for me is not turning the breathing spots into distractions. You've phrased them really well.
WangZhiXian
lurker
lurker

Post by WangZhiXian »

I have the original cello sheet music sitting on my (non-Manhasset) music stand...a great exercise in humility and range expansion.

I echo the other comments in applauding your rendition of the Sauer transcription--three cheers for equal temperament. You've managed one of the most cello-like tuba sounds I've heard, which is another thing I believe is useful for tubists messing with/playing the Bach cello suites: That one should strive to be liquid and equally capable in all registers of one's range.

Nothing like those two octave jumps in the span of a sixteenth note :)

I look forward to your future work on Bach's remaining cello suites!
Last edited by WangZhiXian on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Benjamin