Fantastic Videos

Musical clipart and multimedia
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Fantastic Videos

Post by bort »

I respect the playing and the work that went into making the videos, but personally, they didn't connect with me, and I didn't really like either of them. That said, I'd rather watch tuba videos I don't like than say "I wish there were some tuba videos!"

The Miraphone video is neat, but (blasphemy alert!) I'm not particularly a fan of John Stevens' music. I have a lot of respect for the playing and for the composing... but it's not something I would want to listen to again. The video had its moments, both good and bad. Fun to see the workshop and tooling and see the new horns (awesome!) in action, but a few of the extreme mouthpiece closeups were a bit *too* close, and maybe I've just seen one too many of these "one person playing all the parts" videos. Overall, I didn't really care for the dark, mysterious, heavy, medieval(?) tone of the video. Yeah, I know Bavaria isn't all lederhosen and beer, but when I think of Miraphone, I don't think of gloom and hell-fire like this. Neat concept, just not my style. I think it'd have been a lot more fun with some happier music.

Second video, as I've mentioned in another post, is a lot of nice playing, ruined by reverb added to the audio track. Perhaps it's possible that it's the natural sound from the hall, but it really seems like a separate audio track from the video recording, with reverb added later by the audio engineer (and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong). Watching them play in the video and listening closely at the same time, it's a distracting combination of reverb and facial/body movements that don't always line up all that well, nor does the sound seem to match the environment. (Videos with separate audio and video tracks put together just totally get under my skin.) The upshot -- when I listened to the audio only and ignored the video, it was *greatly* improved. I still think the reverb is unnecessary and detracts from the performance, but I think the audio on its own is a LOT better than the audio + video together.

Again, I think both videos are well made, and for the people who made them, they made the best possible version of exactly what they wanted to make. I didn't love the results, but I respect their work. I'm sure my opinions matter heavily to them, as well. :P