Ed Firth, dixieland jazz

Musical clipart and multimedia
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Ed Firth, dixieland jazz

Post by arpthark »

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/dixielandjazzinneworlean" target="_blank

This is just a trailer, but there is some really nice playing. Tuba @ 5:00. Is this TubeNet's own Ed Firth?
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Ed Firth, dixieland jazz

Post by EdFirth »

Wow, that was a long time ago. 81' or 82' and I've never seen or heard it till now. Thanks Arp! Now I want to buy it because, if I'm remembering correctly, the piano player and I did Grandpa's Spells with him letting me play the breaks and the trumpet player, who was on the Circus Vargas band with me, and I played The Big Cage gallop with us switching parts on the repeats as a gag tune. The vocal at the beginning of the presentation is our trombone player singing a tune(I like New Orleans) that was written by the tuba player with the Dukes, Danny Rubio. I also played on the Connie Jones tracks that are mentioned at the beginning. There used to be a lot of work up there. Thanks again for the stroll down memory lane. Ed
The Singing Whale
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

My pleasure Ed! I love dixieland. What horn were you playing?
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

That tuba didn't have a name on it but here's what I do know. I bought it from Norm Bartold at his store in Woodland Hills, Ca, in 77'. Norm told me it was formerly owned by Buddy Hayes who was with Welk for years.A few years later I saw him playing it on a black and white Welk show. It's most distinctive features were the straight leadpipe and the wide main tuning slide.When the circus got to New York I took it to Giardinelli's and they thought it was an Alexander though it didn't look like any Alexander I had ever seen. While in New Orleans I bought a King from Norm that met with great approval from the other players up and down Bourbon St. so I stayed with that. Ed
The Singing Whale