Great tuba player

Musical clipart and multimedia
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Great tuba player

Post by Ace »

Anyone ever heard of Yukihiro Ikeda, principal tuba of the NHK Orchestra in Japan? I just heard him on PBS in an all-Wagner concert on a tape released by NHK radio. One of the best sounds I have ever heard from a tuba. Gorgeous tone. He's playing a large tuba, don't know what it is. Also, there was beautiful sound in combination with his bass trombonist, Kachishi Kadowaki. If I find these guys on YouTube, I'll post the link. Found: https://youtu.be/zrxt2XBufIo?t=4" target="_blank

Ace
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: Great tuba player

Post by THE TUBA »

I think it is a YamaYork. The bottom curve of the 4th valve slide looks more squared-off (the Yorkbrunner is more rounded) and the side brace looks more like the YamaYork design. To me, the bell of the Yorkbrunner seems a little longer and skinnier verses the YamaYork which appears shorter and wider, but I don't have any hard data on this.

Guy's a great player for sure.
[/post]
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

THE TUBA wrote:I think it is a YamaYork. The bottom curve of the 4th valve slide looks more squared-off (the Yorkbrunner is more rounded) and the side brace looks more like the YamaYork design. To me, the bell of the Yorkbrunner seems a little longer and skinnier verses the YamaYork which appears shorter and wider, but I don't have any hard data on this.

Guy's a great player for sure.
I also believe that the Japanese tuba players tend to have their Yamaha YCB-826s set up with even less wrap on the leadpipe such that the horn is angled away from them at roughly 45 degrees as shown here.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Definitely a nirschl. Good pic of bell in that wind ensemble close up/solo. Great sounding band.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Second tuba is Hidehiro Fujita of the Singapore Symphony. A fine tuba player in his own right.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)