ULTIMATE "F" TUBA SHOOTOUT - "Fantasia No. 2" by Georg Philipp Telemann

Musical clipart and multimedia
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

ULTIMATE "F" TUBA SHOOTOUT - "Fantasia No. 2" by Georg Philipp Telemann

Post by Dylan King »

Hi guys and gals!

I just posted an experimental video on YouTube comparing four different F tubas!

https://youtu.be/8xePaXHkLE4

Please listen carefully and let me know what you think!

Here are the details for this project...

I've been wanting to do this "tuba test" for a while. In this video, I play the same tune on four popular "F" keyed tubas using the same mouthpiece and recording equipment. You can make up your own mind as to which one you like best. Please leave a comment down below!

The piece is "Fantasia Number 2" (for flute) by Georg Philipp Telemann, transcribed for tuba by Ralph Sauer.

I recorded the piece four times, with each different tuba, and then edited between the bunch. I tried to mix it up so that you can get a real sense of what each instrument sounds like. I'd recommend listening with headphones or in a good listening environment to hear the differences in tone between the various instruments.

The F tubas played in this comparison are...

1. Yamaha YFB-621 F tuba -- early handmade "unstamped" model
2. Yamaha YFB-822 F tuba -- "Jim Self" model Custom F
3. Wessex TF458 HP British F tuba
4. M&M Jinbao PT-15 clone F tuba

All four tubas are being played on the Sellmansberger SOLO #1 mouthpiece with the No.2 medium narrow rim, AKA the SOLO "Blokepiece" by Houser Mouthpiece Works.

This was recorded with the Blue Mouse condenser microphone on the Zoom H4N portable recorder (using the Zoom internal preamp), with the same exact minimal processing applied to each track. There will naturally be some variation in sound from the recording process (the various bells will be slightly closer or farther away from the mic, the Wessex horn faces the other way--so I had to move the mic to the other side of the room, etc...), but I did my best to make it so that the recording was as close as possible for each tuba.

The cameras used are the Sony A9, Sony A7siii, Sony A7riii, Sony ZV-1, and the Sony RX100 VA.

I hope that you all enjoy my tuba videos. Have a great day!

Love,

Dylan
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps