Update Update Bookmark and Share

other stuff

Moderator: Uber Moderators

Re: Update Update

Postby schlepporello » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:31 pm

TubaTinker wrote:
schlepporello wrote:We're getting hammered with a real live dyed-in-the-wool blizzard. Ain't gonna be no truck drivin' for me today.

I just saw on the news that it's so bad where you are that The State even pulled the snowplows off the road!

That's true, and they did this before the sun ever came up!
I got out a little while ago and busted through the drift in my driveway with my Dodge. The snow has stopped, the sun's out and 33 degrees F doesn't feel that bad at all compared to what it was like this morning.
The wind is as the air, only pushier.
schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby macwinty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:49 pm

schlepporello wrote:
TubaTinker wrote:
schlepporello wrote:We're getting hammered with a real live dyed-in-the-wool blizzard. Ain't gonna be no truck drivin' for me today.

I just saw on the news that it's so bad where you are that The State even pulled the snowplows off the road!

That's true, and they did this before the sun ever came up!
I got out a little while ago and busted through the drift in my driveway with my Dodge. The snow has stopped, the sun's out and 33 degrees F doesn't feel that bad at all compared to what it was like this morning.

It's part of a covert Canadian plot to take over all those formerly warm southern states. Soften you up a bit, get you used to the cold, then Poof! you're Canadian... we even got it snowing in Hawaii...

ps. Dan, the Martin Mammoth says Hi...

Cheers,

Winston
macwinty
bugler
bugler

Postby sousaphone68 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:01 pm

On my way home from that rarest of rehearsal during competition preparation.
The one were after some enjoyable playing we look up at the band room clock and can't believe it's time to go some days its great to play the tuba
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Ken Herrick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:08 pm

TubaTinker wrote:
Ken Herrick wrote:What you REALLY need is some of Terri's great soup and corn bread. I still haven't matched those.

Terri is also a pharmacist. She's got me 'fixed up' pretty well today!

(Edit).... Ken... I just polished off a big bowl of potato & sausage soup and a couple of slices of freshly-baked beer bread. I think I'm 'on the mend' now!

I bet the soup and bread did more good than pills,etc.

Beer bread just substitute beer for water????
Bake most of my bread - using a machine and sometimes "breead mix" which I often modify. Do you have Terri's recipe?
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TubaTinker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Ken Herrick wrote:.... Beer bread just substitute beer for water????
Bake most of my bread - using a machine and sometimes "breead mix" which I often modify. Do you have Terri's recipe?

It was a box mix.... a brand called 'Tastefully Simple' (I think). But yes, it used beer instead of water. At first, I thought it was just a way to get the yeast into the bread but reading further... the box mention that you could use carbonated soda instead of beer. It is a very moist, heavy bread with a quite different flavor.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Band Instrument Repair
Newburgh, Indiana
http://thevillagetinker.com
danschultz@wowway.com
Current 'stable'... Marzan slant-rotor BBb, Marzan piston BBb, Miraphone 1291 5V, Conn 48K sousa
TubaTinker
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:20 pm

' was treated to dinner (at the celebration of the TREATER's birthday :shock: ) to dinner at a franchise restaurant called "Longhorn Steakhouse". (I reciprocated in advance by gifting a bottle of Mr. Johnnie Walker's good spirits.)

I'd never eaten at a LSH before. The place was packed, and there was a wait. (I was arriving from a rehearsal, so the treater did the waiting for me...' nice.)

For a franchise place, the food/drinks/service were darn good...and the pricing (considering what the stimuli follies have done to the USD) was reasonable.

Even off the appetizer menu, I was able to a low-carb choice (to which Mr. Birthday consented). As much as I was tempted by (and totally was planning on ordering one of) the steaks, I ordered a salmon/shrimp/cheese sort of thing, and some steamed veg's. ' filled me up, and quite nicely. Mrs. bloke ordered/enjoyed same.

Mr. Birthday completely consumed the largest T-bone and the most enriched baked potato I believe I've ever seen. (I hope he's OK this morning... :roll: ) Mrs. Birthday had filet and (two) lob.-tails.

I may possibly return.

bloke "who had just smoked a picnic pork roast overnight the previous night, and who could have just as well treated Mr./Mrs. Birthday to that"
Ask about or order Sellmansberger mouthpieces at 901-465-4739 or click the email icon.
Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sellmansberger-blokepiece-Tuba-Mouthpieces/193759374019965https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnkSXosZhic#t=62
bloke
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby tbn.al » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Glad you enjoyed our Atlanta specialty. I've been enjoying it for 30 years. Good steaks at reasonable prices. It was almost history but for the infamous snowstorm in '82. It was just one store and about to go broke when the storm trapped everybody downtown. The owner sold drinks to all the strandees for a buck apiece, got a lot of publicity for doing so and it took off from there.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Postby TubaTinker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Going to a local steak house tonight with my community band vice-president and the current director... plus our wives. Haub Steak House (http://www.haubhouse.com/) in Haubstadt, Indiana is very well-known as having the best aged beef around. It's EXPENSIVE but always a real treat when you only go once a year or so.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Band Instrument Repair
Newburgh, Indiana
danschultz@wowway.com
Current 'stable'... Marzan slant-rotor BBb, Marzan piston BBb, Miraphone 1291 5V, Conn 48K sousa
TubaTinker
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Ken Herrick » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Hey, Dan

From here, the Haubhaus prices don't look bad though I guess tax and " gratuity" could put them up a bit. Here prices include all taxes and generally any tipping is for very good service only and totally optional.

Have done a couple loaves of beer bread, a white and a whole meal. NICE.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TubaTinker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Ken Herrick wrote:Hey, Dan

From here, the Haubhaus prices don't look bad though I guess tax and " gratuity" could put them up a bit....

All the entrees (unless noted) are a La carte and include only soup or house salad and bread. Most everything is 'extra'.

Four of us had wine. I had TWO glasses of merlot. We ordered an appetizer platter and each had a desert. The final 'tab' ... including a generous tip came to $294 for the six of us.

You've been updated!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Band Instrument Repair
Newburgh, Indiana
danschultz@wowway.com
TubaTinker
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:26 am

I believe I've finally figured out the purpose of those non-collapsible-desk music stands with round holes drilled in the desk:

Even if the stand is weighed down with bricks or stones and faces the wind, the wind will STILL have an opportunity to blow the music away through the holes. :|

-----------------------------------------------------------
In other news...
Some weather forecasts are predicting that some may see more than a foot.
Attachments
foot.jpg
foot.jpg (16.61 KiB) Viewed 464 times
bloke
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Curmudgeon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:58 pm

LJV wrote:I predict that the next new tuba trend/fad/magic feather will be to install larger leadpipes to "open up" all those stuffy piston tubas with those silly smaller leadpipes.

That is all.

I understand results of this prediction are now being tabulated.
Miney Fubar 747 CC and uranium Brokepeace Symph-O-Sonic Ultramatic with a Fair Dunny 3.14159265 rim and a Euro-American shank
Curmudgeon
pro musician
pro musician

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic