Texas BBQ anyone?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Norm Pearson
pro musician
pro musician

Texas BBQ anyone?

Post by Norm Pearson »

I came across this link today:

http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.d ... ntId=27847

It made me so hungry I had to throw some ribs on the BBQ.

Some of my favorites are listed in the article: Coopers, Smitty’s and Blacks. I live a sheltered life, only visiting my in-laws in Austin once a year. Are there other great Texas BBQ joints listed (or not) within 90 minutes of Austin I should check out?

Norm “Texas BBQ is some of the best stuff on the planetâ€
SplatterTone
5 valves
5 valves

Post by SplatterTone »

Oh come on, now. We all know the best BBQ comes from New Jersey.
Good signature lines: http://tinyurl.com/a47spm
chipster55
3 valves
3 valves

Post by chipster55 »

Check out Rudy's & Stubb's --

http://rudysbbq.com/

http://www.stubbsaustin.com/

Rudy's is great. I haven't eaten at Stubb's, but I buy their BBQ sauce & rubs a lot...great for smoking brisket...now I'm hungry.
Norm Pearson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Norm Pearson »

Anyone been to Louie Mueller Barbeque in Taylor, Texas? The description in the article makes it out to be BBQ Nirvana.

It’s near Elgin and that reminds me, I’ve been an Austin regular for 17 years and never had Elgin sausage (in Elgin) ether!
chipster55
3 valves
3 valves

Post by chipster55 »

It's been a long time since I ate at Mueller's. I used to go there when a friend was stationed in Taylor on the Highway Patrol -- excellent BBQ, too.
Norm Pearson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Norm Pearson »

chipster55 wrote:Rudy's is great. I haven't eaten at Stubb's, but I buy their BBQ sauce & rubs a lot...great for smoking brisket...now I'm hungry.
Rudy's is really good. We go to the one Capitol of Texas Hwy: Great Brisket (the extra moist is awesome!) and sides. We had a house full O' Texan's for the Rose Bowl Game and the payment for room and board was 5lbs of Rudy's Brisket and a couple of jars of "Sause".

I agree about Stubbs sauce and rubs, great stuff. My wife and I have been wanting to try Stubb’s, maybe we’ll make the effort next time we’re in Austin. BBQ and music, don’t get much better than that!
chipster55
3 valves
3 valves

Post by chipster55 »

Since I'm in the DFW area, my French Horn playing buddy & I go to the Rudy's in Denton after we've been to Pender's. Or the family goes to Selma when we visit the kids in San Antonio. I know what I'm having for lunch after church!
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

In Austin, I've always liked Artz Ribs (or at least I think thats the name)...

They're ribs are some of the best I've ever had I've eaten my fair share!), and the bands that play there are entertaining.
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Texas BBQ anyone?

Post by tbn.al »

Have you ever eaten at this BBQ joint in Austin? It's at the corner of Branch and 11th. Just voted best BBQ in the US by Epicurean magazine.
Franklin BBQ Austin.jpg
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
Mark

Re:

Post by Mark »

SplatterTone wrote:Oh come on, now. We all know the best BBQ comes from New Jersey.
Says an Okie!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

What part of the pig do beef ribs come from? :?: :lol:
Ed Jones
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Ed Jones »

I was in Lockhart yesterday with the intention of eating at Smitty's. When we got there, the closed sign was up but the front door was open. We went in but a gentleman told us that they had a chimney fire and had to put it out so the fire department wouldn't show up! The line was out the door at Blacks so we went to Kreuz market. The brisket was great with a nice salty, black "bark" and the sausage was out of this world. My fellow BBQ fans tell me that Smitty's is the best but I suppose it is a matter opinion. I think every little town in Central Texas has a BBQ joint worth visiting. Just ask around.
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

Killen's BBQ just opened in Pearland, TX (30 minutes south of downtown Houston). The have had a building for the past few months. Killen's is known for their steak house, but looking at how their BBQ sells out every day and has lines 3 hours long my bet is it is pretty good! I am hoping to get to try it tomorrow...
There is already a good place down the street (Central BBQ). I dream of a street of BBQ joints lined up as far as the eye can see...
I grew up in NY and never had Brisket until I came to Texas. God Bless the Lone Star State! :D