Update Update

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Update Update

Post by bighonkintuba »

bloke wrote:
Donn wrote: Perhaps a bunch of laid-off white-collar and blue-collar workers from other parts of the country are migrating there to apply for some of the green-apron jobs.
or parentally-funded hipsters/trustafarians who don't want (i.e., need) jobs

coming soon to populate, increase the cost of everything and drive out working class people in a trendy neighborhood near you...
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

There were drugged out rock and rollers at Woodstock? I am shocked beyond belief! When? Woodstock is only seven miles from my house. I had no idea. :shock:
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jose the tuba player »

bighonkintuba wrote:
bloke wrote:
Donn wrote: Perhaps a bunch of laid-off white-collar and blue-collar workers from other parts of the country are migrating there to apply for some of the green-apron jobs.
or parentally-funded hipsters/trustafarians who don't want (i.e., need) jobs

coming soon to populate, increase the cost of everything and drive out working class people in a trendy neighborhood near you...
Already happening here in northeast los Angeles.
WTB OLDS SOUSAPHONE WITH 20 INCH BELL
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

That is (and may continue to be) good for your friend, but bad for the neighborhood.

Those 'businesses' could last a long time even if they lose money due to infusions of family cash.

Hipsters and their ilk will soon 'discover' the authenticity of the neighbor.

Landlords will then realize that these interlopers will pay (or rather, their families will pay) higher rents than working class/poor people.

Working class/poor people will be forced out of their homes. Mom and pop stores will lose business and close. Other business leases will be terminated and developers will produce more overpriced housing ('artist' lofts and the like).

More parentally-funded 'businesses' will sprout.

More interlopers will be drawn to this now trendy place.

This cycle continues and...

You will eventually be left with a souless, homogeneous neighborhood, devoid of any local culture or heritage.

bloke wrote:A friend of mine (who can build a house from scratch...and repair almost everything in a car (just successfully did an engine/trans. swap in a 7-series Mercedes) was recently hired to rehab two buildings for "hipster"-oriented businesses. If either are still in business a year from today (one is a fancy-schmancy coffee shop in a bad neighborhood and on a street that was cut off by a new throughway), I'll try to remember to update here. In the meantime, some dough changed hands. :|
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I missed my nephew's baptism this weekend because of that asshat air traffic controller in Chicago. :evil:
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

Nobody wants to be shot, however, gentrification is just an alternate form of urban blight.
KiltieTuba wrote: I'd take that last part any day over being shot...
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Post by Dubby »

I played in my orchestra "concert" today. I just switched to tuba a few weeks ago on behest of my band director and figured if I'm playing the tuba, I might as well play in the orchestra. It went pretty well. We played Sibelius' Karelia Suite, Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire Bach, and a bunch of church hymns. It's been a good first couple of weeks here in college. Four music ensembles, three instruments, voice lessons, and euph lessons. Plus my 16 credit hours in science and humanities courses.

Am I hard enough worker yet?
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Dubby wrote:I played in my orchestra "concert" today. I just switched to tuba a few weeks ago on behest of my band director and figured if I'm playing the tuba, I might as well play in the orchestra. It went pretty well. We played Sibelius' Karelia Suite, Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire Bach, and a bunch of church hymns. It's been a good first couple of weeks here in college. Four music ensembles, three instruments, voice lessons, and euph lessons. Plus my 16 credit hours in science and humanities courses.

Am I hard enough worker yet?
Any recordings?

:twisted:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

bloke wrote:I'll try to remember to update here.
Eh, don't feel obligated on my account :wink:
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:R.I.P.

What a great musician!
Mark
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Aw man! MS finally got him. He was my first inspiration. He made want to switch to bass trombone. Thanks for the post. It is surely a rainy day.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Update: three years after abandoning my house I finally had people in today to cart away all the stuff for an estate sale. People who go to estate sales buy things that have been exposed to toxic mold all the time, so I decided to not worry about it. Lifetime of "treasures and trash" gone. Tomorrow I meet with the remediator to nail down exactly what will be done, then the kitchen and both bathrooms will be dismantled to get at the mold inside the wall from the pipe leak, and after that it would be nice if I can go in there without having to suit up and wear a respirator. The rebuild will either occur or not, depending on whether I plan to sell it as a fixup or try to fix it myself.
Would have been financially much easier had it burned down because at least then insurance would have paid something.
Forward progress, in any case.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

MaryAnn wrote:
Would have been financially much easier had it burned down because at least then insurance would have paid something.
Of course, this could be arranged.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

And/or deranged.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

Donn wrote:And/or deranged.
THAT is already done.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Clever. :)
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

I stepped away from my blokepiece solo, thinking another mouthpiece helped me play better. Popped my solo back into my tuba after a week, and I questioned why I ever left it. I tip my hat to Joe and Dave . Great mouthpieces
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Played for over 2 hours at the Twin Cities Marathon yesterday. It was cold and had to push in a lot to get anywhere close to in tune. The helicon played great and attracted a lot of attention. I got the T-shirt. You have been updated.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Just saying, here's an idea about stopping Ebola...

Stop going to Liberia.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Sang in the backup choir for Sandi Patty last night. Not my genre, but WOW! it was good. Inspirational, spiritual, musical and more! I really felt like I had "been to church".