Update Update

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Update Update

Post by Ken Herrick »

Update to the update.....

The port fuelled hibernation plan worked pretty well. At 4:30 AM it was still fairly warm so I only did what had to be done then crawled back into my bed cave and stayed there until 8. The wood supply is running low so didn't keep the fire going. Tonight it will get colder - well below freezing - so will light it up again.

No mira work done except mental design of parts and jig design for fabricating them.

By the way, Bloke, what will do you when you fun out of repairs to do; go fishing? You really sjould stop teasing that poor cat.
Free to tuba: good home
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Ken, was that the 186 that was a pile of parts, that Chris Olka sold ~10 years ago?
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bort wrote:Ken, was that the 186 that was a pile of parts, that Chris Olka sold ~10 years ago?
And now this non sequitur. I awoke this morning wondering why Chris Olka had not yet commissioned a work called The Olka Polka. It seems so natural. So I just did a Google search, and find that Olka Polka is a line of ladies clothing.

Maybe they could make a Tube Top in honor of Tube Net.

Ok, my sandwich is calling my name.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Tube Top Polka.

I’m on it!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

bort wrote:Ken, was that the 186 that was a pile of parts, that Chris Olka sold ~10 years ago?
Yep, that's the one. I knew what I was getting but my circumstances took a couple unanticipated twists which is why it is almost 8 years since I got it. I made up my mind about 6 months ago that come hell or high water, (no chance of the latter in the horrible drought we are in) it was getting rebuilt. I am making a new valve linkage set plus a new 4th valve circuit as they were not included; nor were any braces.

I did a test play on it with it all taped together and was very pleased with it.

It seems Chris's posts about it in for sale were deleted some time back. I'll have to get in touch with him to see what background info/documentation he might still be able to provide. I'm pretty sure it is older than the serial number would indicate.
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

I sold the last of our motorcycles yesterday. It is a sad day, since we can't ride any more.
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I sold mine months ago. Not really sad though, as I had installed an electric motor on my bicycle, for a ride that for me is more fun overall. Still essentially the bicycle experience and dressed accordingly, so it's nicer in the summer; quieter, cheaper, etc.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

bearphonium wrote:I sold the last of our motorcycles yesterday. It is a sad day, since we can't ride any more.
Maybe you should have joined Ulysses so you could grow old disgracefully.

https://www.ulyssesclub.org/default.aspx" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Ken Herrick wrote:
Yep, that's the one.
Cool -- I think I was second in line for that one, so it nearly was my project horn. Looking back... Not sure I would have gotten it assembled anytime sooner!

My recollection is that this was an early 186 that was something like a factory model -- an excellent example of the instrument, where everything went correctly and used as the standard of measurement. It was intended to be disassembled and measured/scanned/documented in great detail, to help give more information about what made that particular tuba sepcial. I have no clue if that happened or not, but it ended up as a box of parts.

I also seem to remember that it was owned by a Boeing(?) engineer before Chris got it, and that person installed a unique, heavy, and over-engineered valve linkage system on it.

Or, maybe I have all the details halfway and all mixed up. Either way, it's an old 186, it was a good playing one, and it will be again once it's reassembled.

How much do you want for it? :)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bort wrote:My recollection is that this was an early 186 that was something like a factory model -- an excellent example of the instrument, where everything went correctly and used as the standard of measurement. It was intended to be disassembled and measured/scanned/documented in great detail, to help give more information about what made that particular tuba sepcial. I have no clue if that happened or not, but it ended up as a box of parts.

I also seem to remember that it was owned by a Boeing(?) engineer before Chris got it, and that person installed a unique, heavy, and over-engineered valve linkage system on it.
I heard about a Boeing engineer who reassembled a tuba uncoiled, so that it could be admired at length. No idea what model, I didn't see it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Donn wrote:I heard about a Boeing engineer who reassembled a tuba uncoiled, so that it could be admired at length. No idea what model, I didn't see it.
I heard he put extra strong springs on it. BOeING!
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

bort wrote:
Donn wrote:I heard about a Boeing engineer who reassembled a tuba uncoiled, so that it could be admired at length. No idea what model, I didn't see it.
I heard he put extra strong springs on it. BOeING!

Yes, but now it can't be played in an orchestra until 2020...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

bloke wrote:Thank GOODNESS that the CLIMATE has CHANGED back to high temps in the 80's and low humidity for at least a couple of weeks in the middle of the summer in The South.
Being a fellow who works outside, I am finding the change of weather pleasant and not at all disagreeable. Even if I am wearing a long-sleeve shirt at the end of July.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

Ignoring the obvious bait here, I do have to say that even the most well-intentioned people do stuff like this. Myself included.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Fear not, for as long as you ask forgiveness (and vote the right way) your sins will all be absolved!!

:twisted:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

When the stable is empty, reading Tubenet doesn't feel the same.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

MaryAnn wrote:When the stable is empty, reading Tubenet doesn't feel the same.
You mean...……….. the horses have bolted and it's too late now??????
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

The horse is living in Phoenix now.
pwhitaker
3 valves
3 valves

Post by pwhitaker »

Just try to hold onto that world-class sound ....
MISERICORDE, n.
A dagger which in mediaeval warfare was used by the foot soldier to remind an unhorsed knight that he was mortal.
- Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

You mean where diversity of thought was ridiculed as an opposition talking point?? :lol: