Da Weatherman Sez... Bookmark and Share

other stuff

Moderator: Uber Moderators

Da Weatherman Sez...

Postby the elephant » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:38 am

So this past week of rehearsals were fairly uncomfortable as the first one (last Monday) saw our rehearsal facility without much heat. Access to the space had to be severely controlled so that the temp/humidity clause (for the stringed instruments) could be maintained. There are three ways to enter and two were taped off and locked so that the meager heat would stay in the room.

Then it got up into the high 70s for the rest of the week. The heat worked GREAT at that point. :roll: The rehearsal hall was quite toasty! And then our famed humidity returned like during the middle of Summer - around 78% for a few days. By this time we were in the concert hall for rehearsals. To air condition (and de-humidify) a space that holds 2,400 people costs a LOT of money. So we sat on stage where it was over 80º and very humid. Tuning was a big challenge, to say the least.

Last night at the concert mrs. elephant and I saw a severe drop in temperature and rain for our hour+ drive to work.

A number of us went out for a nice post-concert dinner.

And when we leave the restaurant at 11:30 PM?

Snow.

Sheesh! It is snowing hard. It is NOT sticking due to the warm temps of the past four days. But I have to drive home into the wind and snow out in the boonies so that I can hardly see. Our hour+ drive became an hour-and-a-half+ one as the white stuff was mixed with a lot of sleet. In the boonies I was not so sure that ice would not accumulate and there were zero other cars ahead to let me watch for road spray. (For you folks who do not know how to drive in the snow and ice, no road spray coming up from the tires of the vehicle ahead means the wet stuff had turned into ice. So we just drove really slowly all the way home.)

The fool on the radio announced that we would have no accumulation.

This morning we had nearly two inches on the ground, but none on the pavement.

So, Friday on stage it was in the middle 80s with a lot of humidity. This morning we have snow.

:?: :?: :?:

The Gods must be crazy. :lol:

And no, this is not one of those silly, naïve posts by someone who has never seen snow. I used to live in New York City. This is just noting the oddness of the recent weather we are having down here. The temperature dropped over 40º in one afternoon and went from t-shirts and shorts with everything blooming in the afternoon to snow at night.

I am amused by all this. My three cats are mildly stressed out, however.

Pretty cool stuff. (pun intended)
the elephant
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Da Weatherman Sez...

Postby TubaRay » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:09 am

In San Antonio, we went from a Fri. high of approx. 90 degrees to a low this morning of near 32 degrees(it is presently 36, according to the weather service). This stuff happens in our part of the world, as the elephant knows.

I can deal with the weather changes. In general, the weather is quite good, here. It is the "weather" inside the buildings which causes me consternation(note: not Connstellation, that is a horn line). It seems that buildings are supposed to adjust according to the outside temperatures. If the weather is cold outside, it will be very warm inside. If the temps are hot, it will be cold inside.

Well, one thing we can know for certain: the weather problems are all caused by global warming. I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to market a globe-shaped space heater. Global warming. Get it? OK. I'll go back to reading the other posts on TubeNet. They are generally more interesting than mine, anyway.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:18 am

c. 4" of snow at blokeville...

...70 degrees predicted by Wednesday.
Ask about or order Sellmansberger mouthpieces at 901-465-4739 or click the email icon.
Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sellmansberger-blokepiece-Tuba-Mouthpieces/193759374019965
midsouthmusic (at) aol (dot) com
bloke
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby djohnson » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:36 am

Hi guys, 4-12" of the good old white stuff here up north on thursday. On top of an earlier 48". Winter is still very live and well. We could easily have a couple more major blizzard s before "spring flooding " season, than road construction, than winter again. It's okay, I saw a guy riding motorcycle in January, he a had a side car on it. I suppose not much differant than a snowmobile, except it is still street legal year round. It takes a good 20 minutes for my besson 983 to warm from a frosty satin finish to it's normal bright silver after only a couple hours outside in the van below zero. Take care down south and share some warmth.

Dave
djohnson

Postby the elephant » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:01 pm

TubaRay wrote:This stuff happens in our part of the world, as the elephant knows.

Yep. I survived the winter of 1985 in SA. I walked two miles to work one way, every day, and that January and February really stunk for bad weather. I remember many February mornings being dressed in about four tee shirts, a flannel shirt, a sweater and a coat for the high teens/low twenties morning weather, only to be sweating in my single tee shirt at the end of the school day. San Antonio has some very peculiar weather. And what we had this week made me think of home a LOT, Ray. It was San Antonio weird.
the elephant
pro musician
pro musician

Postby timdicarlo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:24 pm

I've always thought of February as "the month of despair," because for three days you'll be running around in shorts and a tee shirt, and everyone believes spring is finally here (despite the fact that this is an annual occurrence), and then everyone becomes horribly depressed when they wake up the next morning and there's an inch of snow on the ground.
timdicarlo
bugler
bugler

Postby tbn.al » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:56 pm

Smowing like crazy in Hotlanta. SW of town they already have 4 inches. Mason might even get some down in LA.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Postby oldbandnerd » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Snow in Richmond,Va tonight! 4 inches by 8:30pm.

oldbandnerd
4 valves
4 valves

Postby schlepporello » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:19 am

I went out and rode my motorcycle for a little bit today. Didn't even need a jacket. :P :P :P
The wind is as the air, only pushier.
schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Nick Pierce » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:33 am

the elephant wrote:So, Friday on stage it was in the middle 80s with a lot of humidity. This morning we have snow.

What's unusual about that? :lol:

Back in November(ish) around here I woke up around seven to see a blanket of snow on the ground with more still coming down, then went back to bed. Woke up again around ten or so to bright sunlight, blue skys and not a snowflake on the ground. I have spoken to several friends who remember the occurrence, so now I know it wasn't a dream (though each of us thought it was at first.)

Meanwhile, shorts, flip flops and t-shirts are the order of the day for most in the good CO (despite this typically being one of the snowiest times of year.)
Kalison Daryl Smith Model

"Make something idiot proof, and the world will invent a better idiot." ~ SplatterTone
Nick Pierce
3 valves
3 valves

Postby the elephant » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:57 am

Nick Pierce wrote:What's unusual about that?

It only snows here about twice a decade. When it does snow, it generally is during an unusually long period of cold. That very cold is unusual enough here that generally the ground is nowhere near cold enough to allow for any accumulation of ice or snow.

Furthermore, our tolerance for cold here is very low as we are set up for heat and humidity for most of the year. So the point where WE put on shorts and tee shirts is FAR higher than in Colorado, where I have seen people wearing such clothing in the high 50s/low 60s. In that range of temps we are still wearing gloves and winter coats!
the elephant
pro musician
pro musician

Postby djohnson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:24 pm

and Wade, we doff our coats, gloves and hats at about 30 degrees on sunny days in January or Febuary, as long as their is NO wind. Such as the day when Oystein Baadsvik played at UND in Grand Forks on February 5. A beautiful day and great clinic. The wind is our ulrimate killer here in ND
djohnson

Next

Return to Off Topic