Da Weatherman Sez...

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Tundratubast
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Da Weatherman Sez...

Post by Tundratubast »

You guys can bicker all you want about global warming, Coming home tonight after a northern sort-of-dixie gig it was freaking -4 F below already. I grew up here, and I still hate this transition to the winter cold. Stay warm, the mid central, is going to get there butt's kicked with snow. We're to cold right now for heavy snow. Good Day.
Tundratubast
1965 McMartin 4v BBb
2019 Eastman 4v Comp, EEb (In Transit)
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

HI-
I could use some 'global warming' here in the 'snow-belt' of Western New York--last night coming out of a gig, we had 65 MPH winds and an ice storm--this morning we have 18" of snow, 40MPH winds, and much more LES (Lake Effect Snow) coming....maybe I should pull the gas grill out and have a cook out..ugh...
mark
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

bloke wrote:...every [daily weather] example that anyone can pull out of their butt is isolated...
Just a reminder.
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

Clear and cold in Oregon. No rain, which is making my job easier.
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ralia.html

...an iceberg [this] size...had not been seen so far north since the days when 19th century clipper ships plied the trade route between Britain and Australia.
Dr. Young from the article wrote: ...sightings of large icebergs could become more frequent if sea temperatures rise through global warming.
I'm impressed! Quoting from an article that mentions the potential impacts of global warming on the Antarctic ice shelf is real growth!

Steven
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves

Post by bearphonium »

Alas, freezing rain tonight in Oregon cancelled my gig. Precip and freezing met at the junction causing some traffic issues.
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone

What Would Xena Do?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Supposed to be up to 2 feet(!) of snow in Baltimore before the end of the weekend. That's always a lot of snow, but boy, in that city even a few inches screws things up.

I'm in NYC now, and unless it snows underground, I'll get around just fine. Kind of disappointing, I like when everything stops for a day or two for the snow!
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

It got down into the low teens in Nashville last night. Light snow here this morning. Both are almost unheard of here. There is ice on the inside of my windows; the heater in this POS apartment can barely keep up. I can't wait to see the elec bill at the end of the month :x
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves

Post by bearphonium »

Set a record high for the date yesterday. Rain today. Welcome to Oregon.
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone

What Would Xena Do?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Listen to Scientists, not Neo-Con radio/TV/publication no-nothings..
mark
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

I'm not a global warming guy, but I can't believe no one posted this:

Dear Mom, Please send snow. Love, Vancouver

:lol:
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Yeah, lucky we have our tuba bulletin board, where we can find out the truth, and not be bullied by all those self-professed experts who think they can tell us what to think just because they've spent their lives studying it and know all kind of useless facts.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote: "Man-made global warming" is one of many continuously-created sacraments of a 19th-Century-established religion, rather than having anything to do with "science". Most all of these continuously-created sacraments are either repressive or death-embracing in motive. Those associated with this religion will always chime in and a defend the sacraments.
The thing is, our religion can really make glaciers retreat, polar ice caps disappear. Better do what we say, or we'll make the waters rise.

Well, the waters will rise, at this point I gather it's just a question of how much. But don't worry, it will take some years, and in the mean time I'm sure you and your friends will help keep the world safe from the conspiracy of repressive, death-embracing scientists by posting reports on the occasion of every low tide.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

If it's any consolation, out here in cold, gray Seattle it's practically spring - garden peas are already a couple inches tall, it has been over 50 every day lately and sort of vaguely sunny. The south has really been taking it in the shorts - while I would never suggest that someone should come here to get away from the rain, last summer it would sure have been a good idea, and this winter it looks like we may get through without any snow to speak of, though of course there's no guarantee. (I didn't plant the peas, they're volunteers.)
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

bloke wrote:The point is that every example that anyone can pull out of their butt is isolated...as are daily weather reports.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:it was my understanding that the coastal Pacific Northwest usually experienced highs in the upper 80's during most of the summer and highs in the upper 50's during most of the winter...Was/is that not the case...??
Not really - we might break 50 once in a while, but not upper 50s in the winter months. (Nor upper 80s until the very peak of summer.) This was the warmest January on record, 2006 was the second warmest. Not that this proves anything, of course. What's going on here right now is a Pacific cycle, El Niño or one of that sort, that brings wet, warm winters for a couple years. This will no doubt tie into global climate trends - duration and severity of these events might change, for example - but it seems like it would be easy to be wrong about that.
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

bloke wrote:Its becoming less...and less...and less...and less...and less isolated.
You've GOT to be kidding me. It's winter, Bloke. Snow falls in winter, sometimes in places where it normally doesn't. In March of 1993, Atlanta, GA received 13" of snow. Snow in Atlanta as uncommon? No doubt, but it's not out of the range of possibility. Warmer weather is more common too, Bloke. In Bozeman, we've had relatively pleasant weather this winter, warmer than average.

Believe your conspiracy stories. Believe that governments are pushing global warming or global climate change as a means to control the populace. (Some would argue that religion, in ALL of it's forms (e.g., Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.) was meant to do much the same thing.) Believe that hundreds of thousands of scientists across the globe are involved in the conspiracy to rob you of your personal freedoms. Believe whatever the hell you want to. To claim that severe winter weather is becoming less and less isolated during the winter months is ridiculous. Of course winter weather is going to be more common during the winter months; what would you expect?

A global conspiracy by governments the world over meant to subjugate the populace and rob you of your freedoms? Pshaw. :roll:
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

bloke wrote:...an anomaly of FORTY-NINE STATES WITH SNOW ON THE GROUND
An anomaly does not equal does not equal complete dismissal of scientific evidence as has been suggested by most commentators on the mouth-flatulence that is most of the commentators on Faux News. See outliers. A general trend in the increase of global temperatures does not mean that every year will always be warmer than the last. :shock:

The implication of your argument is that those who agree with the scientific evidence of global warming is that we're all "sheeple," to use the parlance of the conspiracy theorist, and that we're all fans of big-gubmint. I won't argue that "cap and trade" isn't a good way to address increasing carbon emissions. What is a good alternative? I don't know.

All you do anymore regarding this thread is post links to daily weather reports and cold-weather storms. I would argue that news reports of daily weather and cold-weather storms are not scientific evidence. The evidence you have against global warming is anecdotal; as has been mentioned several times on TubeNet, the plural of anecdote is not data. Scientists don't deny that the science could be wrong. However, the global analysis done by thousands of independent laboratories suggests that temperatures are rising and will continue to do so.

Are those who hold your point of view wrong? Maybe. Are the scientists who have analyzed the data and those of us who "buy into" global warming wrong? Maybe. This is a pointless argument to have, especially because it's doubtful that believers on either side of the argument are going to sway the opinions of those on the other side of the argument.

Steven "about to shred two pork shoulders that have been smoking at 225 F for six hours" Ranney
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:so I must (for the sake of my offspring and for the sake of sanity) resist their lack of restraint"
This is what it comes down to on both sides, though. We could wait and see, but if you're wrong and all those scientists turn out to be doing their job, it will be super bad news for your offspring. I mean, you call us `death embracing', but only someone who expects us all to be transported off to heaven before then wouldn't be concerned about the future facing kids born today in the global warming scenario, and every day we deny and delay makes it worse. "The scientists might be wrong" seems like a bad bet in this case, for someone who cares about offspring.

But that's why this topic is clearly politics, and follows the usual political lines.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Joe-
I heard a rumor that Sarah Palin has each day's weather report written on the palms of her hands...
Regards from the 'Miami of the North'--Buffalo..
mark