Da Weatherman Sez...

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Da Weatherman Sez...

Post by SRanney »

Bloke I'm surprised that you listen to NPR. You don't strike me as the public radio (well, at least the news/talk part) type.

Warm here (> 40 F) for the next week or so. Da wetherpeepl are actually predicting rain on Saturday.
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

They closed schools at 1:00 today, and also canceled school for tomorrow, due to the nastiness of the weather outside. The roads are pretty bad...worse than the last storm, I'd say. While I was creeping along in the car on my way home (10-15 MPH), I was approaching a red light, and went into a slide as I hit the brakes. I tried pumping the brakes, but was unable to come to a stop before I slid into the next lane and bumped the car in the lane next to me. Thankfully no damage was caused to either car or person (let that be a feather in the cap of driving SLOWLY in bad conditions)...a fender NON-bender, I suppose. The other driver and I traded information anyway, and we both snapped some cell-phone pics of the vehicles (he of my license plate, in case I gave him false info, I suppose, me of his fender and license plate, in case he tries to claim I did massive damage to his car). Got home and have been just riding out the storm since.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

bloke wrote: In the past, just about the time I have glibly starting nursing the mentality that "these people don't know how to drive on ice", (yes...) I, MYSELF, go into a slide. :(
The last time someting like that happened to me, Monday as a week ago to be precise, it was in the key of B, just before I MYSELF missed an A#. Embarassing! Fortunately I had not let my dismay at the other players mistakes escape my mouth. "Pride goeth before destruction."
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Joe-
You need to listen to NPR more, or better yet Ed Schultz-instead of the 'drugster' on the EIB network.
All will be well when we get universal health care...
mark
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

I do not know jonesmj a bit but do have a passing knowledge of the other two protagonists in this debate. Is seems to me that SRanney and bloke are much more alike than different in their core views. Essentially they both appear to want to be "just left alone" to pursue their interests without any interference from anywhere. Hmmmmmmm........What a novel idea!
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Still, I percieve you to be more alike than different.
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

bloke wrote:
tbn.al wrote:I do not know jonesmj a bit but do have a passing knowledge of the other two protagonists in this debate. Is seems to me that SRanney and bloke are much more alike than different in their core views. Essentially they both appear to want to be "just left alone" to pursue their interests without any interference from anywhere. Hmmmmmmm........What a novel idea!
perhaps so, but SRanney also (earlier in the thread) made a presumptuous comment regarding my radio listening tastes/influences.

Through the stereotyping of others, people tend to "show their backsides".
The thing about stereotyping is that--alot of the time--our stereotypes are right on. Probabilities being what they are, there will always be a non-zero probability that someone doesn't fit a particular stereotype and I would imagine that neither you nor I "fit" into the box we have subconsciously or consciously assigned each other.

Would it surprise you that I listen to Alex Jones on occasion? I've been known to have Neal Boortz on the radio, too.

Bloke wrote:

Here's that non-zero probability again. Neither of us fit the box we've tried to force each other into. For some reason though, you continue to insist that people who have found global warming, climate change, or global wierding to be fact are all sheeple, are all stupid and have had the proverbial "wool pulled over our eyes", are all wanting a (communist) government to feed and clothe us, and are willing to tax everyone to get our way. I value my personal freedoms guaranteed by the constitution and have done what I can to keep them from being taken away from me.

I'll stop trying to put you into a box if you do the same for me.

Pick my political preference, bloke: I have a MS degree in wildlife and fisheries science; I am in the middle of a PhD program in fisheries biology; I am a graduate student; I have lived in rural Montana and rural South Dakota for the last four years; I grew up in East Cobb County, GA (6th congressional district; previously represented by Newt Gingrich); I vote early by absentee ballot; I hunt birds and big game animals (with rifles and bows); I fish; though all of my firearms were lost in a horrible boating accident, I can safely handle and am not afraid or be around firearms.

ETA: I forgot to add that I am also a dues-paying member of the NRA.

Have a wonderful weekend. Smoked pork ribs, coleslaw, and home-made southern buttermilk biscuits are on the menu for me tonight!

Steven