Help Me Name My New Cat!

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Help Me Name My New Cat!

Post by TMurphy »

My girlfriend and I have just agreed to adopt a six month old female kitty from a local shelter. The poor thing was found abandoned and pregnant in an apartment somewhere. The kittens sadly didn't make it, but the young mommy is doing fine and in need of a loving home. So sometime in the next week we'll be bringing her home to live with us!

The folks at the shelter have given her the name Bette Davis, and we plan on changing that. Right now the front runners are Rita (for a character from a favorite TV show) and Roxanne (after the Police song). I would love to hear any more suggestions for a name...I'd love for it to be something musical, but any suggestions are welcome.
katietes
bugler
bugler

Re: Help Me Name My New Cat!

Post by katietes »

What does she look like?

Though I do like Roxanne..
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

TMurphy wrote:Right now the front runners are Rita (for a character from a favorite TV show)...
Would that be the Rita from Arrested Development? If so, you should call her Mr. F. If not, you should check out Arrested Development. 8)
[/post]
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

There's nothing wrong with Bette Davis, really, it's just not a name that has any particular meaning or attachment for us. We'd rather pick something a little more personal.

As for the cat in question, she's mostly grey, with some red and black fur as well. A really pretty cat!
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

THE TUBA wrote:
TMurphy wrote:Right now the front runners are Rita (for a character from a favorite TV show)...
Would that be the Rita from Arrested Development? If so, you should call her Mr. F. If not, you should check out Arrested Development. 8)
Oh, I've seen Arrested Development. We were actually thinking more of Rita from the show Dexter, but the AD connection brings added points to the table (we briefly mentioned Lucille as a possible name, too).
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

I've long wanted a dalmatian. I'd name it Stripe.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

knuxie wrote:What's wrong with Bette Davis???

Ken F.
"Eyes" got no idea ... :oops:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

the elephant wrote:We have three cats and all three were nameless for a period. We used "working" names while we let the personality of the cat speak for itself as we got to know each one. Eventually a name would just pop into one of our heads. Oddly, each time, the cats would respond to these names when they would not respond to others. So it sort of felt as though the cats participated in the process…
So, are any of these names repeatable in "polite company" (or here, for that matter)? :wink:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Very nice! They look like good cats. :)
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

the elephant wrote:
Kevin Hendrick wrote:Very nice! They look like good cats. :)
Battered and fried, they are not too bad… :shock:
:wink: :lol:
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Three of the four cats I have owned have had music related names, most recently Kali, after Kalison. Some years ago when I was intrigued by the "singer songwriter" thing, I had Chapin and Richey, after Mary Chapin Carpenter and Kim Richey, two of the best minds in the business that did not stay "big" because they refused to pigeon hole themselves as "kountry" artists. Our sole surviving cat is Boots, the only one I did not name.
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

knuxie wrote:

Reason I asked is if this cat is used to being called Bette Davis and answers to that name, it would be kind of confusing for this animal to have to learn to respond to another name. I know for humans it would border on cruelty to make a kid change his name just because the adoptive parents hate it or 'don't feel' it.

But, as Shakespeare once said....

'What's in a name?'

Ken F.
I don't think that's the case. She was given this name at the shelter, and she hasn't been there very long (less than a month). I probably wouldn't change it if that were the case, but I don't think it is.

Marty...when you said you named your cat Chapin after a singer songwriter, I was kind of hoping it would be after Harry Chapin, who is one of my favorites.
Brucom
bugler
bugler

Post by Brucom »

Sneakers
Fafner
Amadeus
Bill
Bell
Sousa
Partial
Mira
Pedal
Contra
Excerpt
Bass
Basie
Ray
Brass
Brassie
Gut
Catgut
Chigger
Harpo
Chapin
Chaplin
Chafing
Tooter
B&S Sonora, 4 Rotary CC
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

Asrael, The Angel of Death. It worked for Gargamel. Plus its also the subtitle of one of the greatest symphonies ever written. Josef Suk's Symphony in C Minor.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

the elephant wrote:
Kevin Hendrick wrote:Very nice! They look like good cats. :)
Battered and fried, they are not too bad… :shock:
Do we have to create a TNFJ shelter for battered cats now? :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

Asrael is a pretty good one, but my girlfriend isn't too crazy about it.

I have to admit that I'm very excited about getting this cat. Growing up I was never able to have a pet of any kind, other than a goldfish, so this is a totally new experience for me.

Keep the suggestions coming!
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

How about "Meowbag"?
We pronounce it Guf Coast
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

CATastrophic
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

Lets see...Octavius Augstus Ceaser Teakettle Cat = Gus (orange tabby)
Copurnicus Southpaw Teakettle Cat = Copper (orange tabby)
Tonto (orange tabby whose littermate had a lone ranger mask, even if she was a girl)
Missy Socrates Teakettle Cat = Miss S. (calico tabby)
Rama Lama Ding Dong (burma kitty)
Oreo (black and white scottish fold)

I also had a white cat I had named Spot that my mother called Elenor of Aquatine and a tabby that I called Thurman Munson that Mom renamed Sir Charles. Both of those were college cats that I had to get rid of when the "no pets" landlord discovered them.

That said, I like Roxanne. But she will tell you her name.
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

bearphonium wrote:I also had a white cat I had named Spot that my mother called Elenor of Aquatine and a tabby that I called Thurman Munson that Mom renamed Sir Charles.
Oh lordy, now I'm having Python flashbacks ... :lol:

(ah well, there are worse ways to start the week!)