MAKE YOUR OWN MEMPHIS BARBECUE USING A CHEAP GRILL

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Re: barbecue: HEY MARY ANN !!!

Post by SRanney »

Nope, nothing here!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: MAKE YOUR OWN MEMPHIS BARBECUE USING A CHEAP GRILL

Post by iiipopes »

YUM!

Steven Raichlen has nothing on you.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Awesome. :shock:

I'm with Ben, I need a yard!
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tom Mason »

Having eaten both Joe's version and the store brand of Memfis pork, I can tell you that Joe's version is much closer to the Memfus brand than the store versions.

Not having run into this problem myself, but having seen this happen elsewhere; make sure that the free range wood you pick up from the neighbor's yard is just wood, and not poison ivy laced wood.
Brown Mule
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Brown Mule »

Anyone ever tried making a BBQ grill out of a Tuba Bell---------seems like it might work.------------Conn 25j Bell with chicken wire across top!!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Why would you want to make Memphis BBQ when you can make Texas BBQ?
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

Out of curiosity, do Memphians chop their pork rather than pull it by hand (or fork)?

Steven "pork ribs on the smoker" Ranney
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

I generally pull it because my wife likes a leaner meat and you can get rid of 90% of the fat by pulling it hot. It's hard on the fingers and some folks like the fat.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

bloke wrote:
tbn.al wrote:I generally pull it because my wife likes a leaner meat and you can get rid of 90% of the fat by pulling it hot. It's hard on the fingers and some folks like the fat.
I pull the vast majority of the fat out of the mix as well.
Hard on the fingers, roger that. I've never "chopped" my pork, but I'm thinking that may be a bit easier to do, not to mention the more consistency in size. Some of my friends from North Carolina suggest that pulling a butt with forks is the only way to go.

I've never been a big fan of putting a rub on the butt prior to smoking, but for some reason, there are a number of folks who prefer their butt rubbed, many with yellow mustard and brown sugar. That's too sweet for me. Plain smoked pulled pork with my homemade, mildly-spicy vinegar sauce is the way to go.

Steven
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

If you're feeling daring (or just bored), you can try this.
The building starts at 9:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ2Uj_3v6Dw" target="_blank

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzT ... er&list=UL" target="_blank
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Thanks for that clip. I've been wanting to buy me a smoker. I think you just saved me $300. BTW I've eaten at all the joints shown at the beginning and none of them are worth a $#!+. The good one is within 1 mile of Alton's house. What WAS he thinking!
Williamson.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

bloke wrote:I personally prefer to chop with a very sharp cleaver (as do most of the bbq joints). It makes for easier eating, easier fitting-it-on-to-a-sandwich (and the consistency that I personally prefer). I've noticed that - for whatever reason (??) - quite a few caterers serve it "pulled" in a big aluminum disposable pan more often than chopped. ...It COULD be that I'm seeing the same caterer over-and-over (mostly at gigs, etc.) and that's that way that that one particular caterer does theirs...??
I smoked a butt this weekend then chopped it rather than pulled it. Chopping was definitely easier than pulling it and the pieces were certainly more consistent than having pulled it (which does make for easier sandwich eating) but I'm not sure if it tasted better. I think I'd have to do a "back to back" taste test comparison to be able to make that determination.

Regarding pork ribs, I think that quality of the ribs makes a significant difference in the quality of the final product. When I buy ribs from Costco, I've noticed higher quality when compared to the quality of the ribs I buy from my local grocery store.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

What? You mean at some point in time you quit? BBQ is a 24/7/12 thing around here. I am reminded of the response I got from my out in the boonies uncle when I mentioned how excited I was that deer season was about to start. He looked at me quizically and said, "There's a season for that?"