Beef jerky (this one's not a joke)

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Beef jerky (this one's not a joke)

Post by arpthark »

I love me a good beef jerky - there is this brand based out of Paris, KY called Mingua (pronounced mean-gee with a hard g) that is to die for; salty, thin and dry with a hint of soy sauce. I prefer the hot variety, which is coated in red pepper seeds:

Beef jerky aficionados of TubeNet, what are your favorite brands of jerky?
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Beef jerky (this one's not a joke)

Post by PMeuph »

I like beef jerky, but I find it too expensive. (A small package of jack link's (50 grams or so) is about 4.50 here)

I have made a couple batches using this recipe, which is really easy to follow, and I have been really pleased with the result.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/t-birds-beef-jerky/" target="_blank
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Tale_09
lurker
lurker

Post by Tale_09 »

Is it truly home-made? I always thought you can just buy them from market so was searching for best brands available here in the local market. Amazingly I didn’t find any of brands as listed in this list.
KevinMadden
3 valves
3 valves

Post by KevinMadden »

Krave Jerky

https://www.kravejerky.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Ithaca College, B.M. 2009
University of Nebraska - Lincoln, M.M. 2017, D.M.A. 2020
Wessex Artiste
Wessex "Grand" BBb, Wessex Solo Eb, Wessex Dulce
emcallaway
bugler
bugler

Post by emcallaway »

I'm also going to go with homemade jerky being the obvious winner.

Something to remember is that you often want to make jerky out of the leanest cut of meat that you can find...following this logic to it's near extreme, I've recently had great luck experimenting with making jerky out of cow hearts. Not only is it super-lean and very flavorful, but it's also really really inexpensive compared to normal beef! We're talkin' something like half the price of a "standard" cut of meat here folks!
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Post by tubadoctor »

I make my own as well... Usually from venison, though by dad brings home thin slices of prime rib that work well, too... It's all about the brining/marinating for me... I have a friend's recipe that I've tweaked with my own cajun rub, and I also substitute homebrew for most of the water in the mix as well...