Bloomington

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Bloomington

Post by Dan Schultz »

Glad you're going on Monday. I'm not driving up until Thursday morning. If I get lost... I'll just call you! :tuba:
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Next to Criminal Justice, and just over from the Kinsey Institute, two other fields of interest that may be fields of interest.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
TubaNerd88
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaNerd88 »

Speaking of Bloomington, does anyone know if most of the action will take place at the convention center, or will it take place on the IU campus? I've heard mixed answers.
Matthew Gray
DMA Candidate, University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
Eastman EBC836
B&S PT-16
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bloke wrote:Danny,

If you manage to find the place, you can hang around my boof all day. :tuba:
Thanks. I'll bring the beer!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Don't miss the Kinsey Institute while you're there, if you can get in.
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

MaryAnn wrote:Don't miss the Kinsey Institute while you're there, if you can get in.
There is the makings of a pretty good joke here, but in defference to our more sensitive board members (there I go again), I'll let it pass.

Chuck"insert Beavis and Butthead laugh here"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

As a side-note.... do you realize that the liberal minded IU actually has an oil well operating on the university property? No... it's not part of the research at the school of geology. Apparently it's about MONEY!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

That's nothing: the Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly known as University of Missouri - Rolla and originally known as Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy) has a commercial nuclear reactor to manufacture isotopes for commercial and medical applications, as well as the centerpiece of their nuclear engineering program.

http://reactor.mst.edu/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Hopefully it wasn't built by Babcock & Wilcox.......
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Heavy_Metal wrote:Hopefully it wasn't built by Babcock & Wilcox.......
Although B & W took a lot of the heat for the TMI fiasco... the bulk of what they build is pressure vessels. It's true that one of their valves failed but it was still the human element that caused the majority of the problems.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

bloke wrote:Were it in Texas, it would be nucular.
Hey, Jimmuh Cottah got a degree in nuclear physics and he somehow still managed to say "nukeah" :roll:
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

TubaTinker wrote:
Heavy_Metal wrote:Hopefully it wasn't built by Babcock & Wilcox.......
Although B & W took a lot of the heat for the TMI fiasco... the bulk of what they build is pressure vessels. It's true that one of their valves failed but it was still the human element that caused the majority of the problems.
Wasn't just that power-relief valve, according to two separate accounts I've read- there were some other design flaws that caused false coolant level readings, the alarm printer ran about 30 minutes behind, every time the reactor core exceeded 700°F the printer would print question marks (and it got two or three times that hot), etc etc etc. And of course the operators didn't believe their instruments. Plenty of blame to go around, but B&W's rather poor design contributed to the accident.

One of my customers was a nuclear engineer (now retired) and he wonders how that reactor ever got approved.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Heavy_Metal wrote:... One of my customers was a nuclear engineer (now retired) and he wonders how that reactor ever got approved.
Nuclear engineers designed TMI. I guess they can't all be great.

I spent quite a bit of time in the B & W plant in Mount Vernon, Indiana.... just a few miles west of here. I wasn't involved in the engineering but the magnitude of the equipment was (is) amazing.

The concept of laying down several layers of rope welds of Inconel the size of one's thumb on the inside of those vessels prior to being machined smooth is amazing. Imagine a vertical lathe where the operator rides in a cab mounted on the tool bit!

Even after the TMI thing The Government kept that place alive because it's one of the few companies capable of building reactors for The Navy and rocket boosters for NASA.

Yup... despite massive amounts of security and quality control... things can still go wrong.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"