Buying a used viola?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
emcallaway
bugler
bugler

Buying a used viola?

Post by emcallaway »

Fear not, I'm not going over to the dark side. I have a friend who played the viola for several years while growing up, and now she is looking at getting back into it. My expertise lies solely in brass instruments, so I really don't have any good advice about where she can find a decent viola at a reasonable price. Does anyone on the forum have any friends or family who play the viola that they can ask about this?

Also...if anyone is looking at selling an adult-sized viola, maybe we can work something out.

Thanks in advance! :tuba:
emcallaway
bugler
bugler

Re: Buying a used viola?

Post by emcallaway »

the elephant wrote:Regardless of price they all make great firewood.
But the 16" is preferred because it burns longer than the smaller, student models, right? :lol:

Thank you so much for all of the excellent advice, Wade. It was sort of a shot in the dark to ask about violas on my tuba forum, but you really came through in a big way.

I forwarded on your advice and the take home has been that she will try to find a local viola teacher to help her pick out an instrument...preferably an older model one of European make that isn't secretly of Asian origin. I suppose that prejudices aren't always the easiest thing to shrug off, eh? Meanwhile, I'm slowly buying more and more Chinese made brass instruments as they've recently had a bit of a renaissance in terms of quality.

Doing just a bit of searching around myself it's remarkable how some older European violas seem to appreciate rapidly in value while others (from similar makers and years) are very accessible in terms of price. There must be something there that the string players see that I don't!

Thanks again for all of your advice, Wade. I'm certain that it has gone a long way toward getting a fellow musician back on to her feet again, and I'll let you know how the situation progresses.
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

Try Johnson String Instrument Co., located in the Boston area. They have a very good selection of European and Asian instruments at several price points. There is also the Reuning shop, althoughthis will be more high rent.
Mark

Post by Mark »

the elephant wrote:... My viola is a 17" Yamaha. ...
I believe there is a 12-step program to help you with this.
Mark

Post by Mark »

the elephant wrote:
Mark wrote:
the elephant wrote:... My viola is a 17" Yamaha. ...
I believe there is a 12-step program to help you with this.
The first step is admitting that I have a viola. So recovery is possible, in my case...
My name is Wade and I am a violist. :wink:
emcallaway
bugler
bugler

Post by emcallaway »

I once played with a very talented bass trombonist who would always turn to me and sneer "Frickin' violas" whenever the viola section was being rehearsed...or really ever mentioned at all. He never did explain the source of his grudge against them.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

I understand Sotheby’s may have one for sale soon. You might want to look into that one.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

tbn.al wrote:I understand Sotheby’s may have one for sale soon. You might want to look into that one.
Indeed. It did not bring reserve, so maybe they will be in a mood to negotiate price. :P
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ls-to-sell" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

emcallaway wrote:I once played with a very talented bass trombonist who would always turn to me and sneer "Frickin' violas" whenever the viola section was being rehearsed...or really ever mentioned at all. He never did explain the source of his grudge against them.
The source of the viola grudge is a mystery to me too, Callaway. I'd bet your bass trombonist friend might feel differently if he took a few lessons on the viola. I've liked violas for a very long time. I even own one. Viola is a fine instrument with a nice expressive sound. I can't understand why people joke about them. There are many things to joke about. Jokes are fun, humorous, and contribute to group bonding. But, hey, leave the viola alone, you viola haters. Frank, the violist in the video below, will kick your butts if you don't mend your ways. He's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwCADuvR74" target="_blank" target="_blank

Ace
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

My hunch is that the particular individual mentioned above may have already had some bitter trauma at the hands of a viola player.
Mark

Post by Mark »

IMHO: Professional viola players are fine musicians. In amateur orchestras, a lot of the violists are playing viola because they couldn't cut it on violin. I have heard some amateur viola sections that could cause permanent psychological damage to some one with good intonation.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Mark wrote:IMHO: Professional viola players are fine musicians. In amateur orchestras, a lot of the violists are playing viola because they couldn't cut it on violin. I have heard some amateur viola sections that could cause permanent psychological damage to some one with good intonation.
Yes, I know what you mean.

Ace
emcallaway
bugler
bugler

Post by emcallaway »

Mark wrote:I have heard some amateur viola sections that could cause permanent psychological damage to some one with good intonation.
Donn wrote:My hunch is that the particular individual mentioned above may have already had some bitter trauma at the hands of a viola player.
I fear that this may sum up the situation pretty well for him. Then again, it is also possible that (being the string section that is situated closest to the his bell, he had to vilify them to not feel guilty about playing in their general direction with enough volume to remove the paint from most walls.

Also possible: it could be that a violist once asked him to take his volume down a notch...