Buying a used viola?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Buying a used viola?

Post by iiipopes »

tbn.al wrote:I understand Sotheby’s may have one for sale soon. You might want to look into that one.
Indeed. It did not bring reserve, so maybe they will be in a mood to negotiate price. :P
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ls-to-sell" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

emcallaway wrote:I once played with a very talented bass trombonist who would always turn to me and sneer "Frickin' violas" whenever the viola section was being rehearsed...or really ever mentioned at all. He never did explain the source of his grudge against them.
The source of the viola grudge is a mystery to me too, Callaway. I'd bet your bass trombonist friend might feel differently if he took a few lessons on the viola. I've liked violas for a very long time. I even own one. Viola is a fine instrument with a nice expressive sound. I can't understand why people joke about them. There are many things to joke about. Jokes are fun, humorous, and contribute to group bonding. But, hey, leave the viola alone, you viola haters. Frank, the violist in the video below, will kick your butts if you don't mend your ways. He's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwCADuvR74" target="_blank" target="_blank

Ace
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

My hunch is that the particular individual mentioned above may have already had some bitter trauma at the hands of a viola player.
Mark

Post by Mark »

IMHO: Professional viola players are fine musicians. In amateur orchestras, a lot of the violists are playing viola because they couldn't cut it on violin. I have heard some amateur viola sections that could cause permanent psychological damage to some one with good intonation.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Mark wrote:IMHO: Professional viola players are fine musicians. In amateur orchestras, a lot of the violists are playing viola because they couldn't cut it on violin. I have heard some amateur viola sections that could cause permanent psychological damage to some one with good intonation.
Yes, I know what you mean.

Ace
emcallaway
bugler
bugler

Post by emcallaway »

Mark wrote:I have heard some amateur viola sections that could cause permanent psychological damage to some one with good intonation.
Donn wrote:My hunch is that the particular individual mentioned above may have already had some bitter trauma at the hands of a viola player.
I fear that this may sum up the situation pretty well for him. Then again, it is also possible that (being the string section that is situated closest to the his bell, he had to vilify them to not feel guilty about playing in their general direction with enough volume to remove the paint from most walls.

Also possible: it could be that a violist once asked him to take his volume down a notch...