Flute purchase help?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Flute purchase help?

Post by opus37 »

I know that some of the tubaneters have a flute playing spouse. Others have knowledge of woodwinds through repair or students. I thought I would like to tap some of that knowledge. My wife is a flute player with me in community bands. At least one of those bands plays outside and sometimes there is a cold wind off the big lake. She currently has an Armstrong student model from the 1950's and Gemeinhardt M3 from the 1990's. She is looking to replace these with a new(er) flute that is not one hole, warms up fast, plays in tune, has the lower foot, and is a bit easier on older fingers. (I guess some flutes have been ergonomics that others.) Price is not a major concern but hand made flutes are not in consideration (I understand those are very pricy.) Any suggestions on brands, models, and buying tips would be greatly appreciated. By the way, this is a birthday present surprise, so don't let her know what I'm up to.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Flute purchase help?

Post by bort »

Doesn't Mrs. Bloke deal with woodwinds?
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

bort wrote:Doesn't Mrs. Bloke deal with woodwinds?
"You are correct, sir."
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

She is adamant about no open hole. I think the certificate and let her choose on her own is the way to go. Thanks for the help.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5