Any harmonica experts?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Any harmonica experts?

Post by bort »

Over the weekend, I inherited some harmonicas that used to belong to my grandfather. Not sure how old they are, but he passed away in the early 70's (before I was born), so I'm guessing he bought/used them after the war, in the 50s. I'm not sure if they are worth much, but they are made in Germany, are in good shape, and seem to be well-made. To my non-harmonica ear, they also sound very pleasing, and light years better than the really cheapo ones.

I have 3 harmonicas:
Hohner Marine Band in C
Hohner Marine Band in A
Lombardi Chromatic

They don't seem very dirty, but they're old, and I'm sure they could use a cleaning (do harmonicas get cleaned? how?) Any harmonica experts on here that can share any information about these?

Again, it's purely sentimental value to these, but it would be neat to know more about them.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Any harmonica experts?

Post by Rick F »

My late dad was a big harmonica fan. He had several of the Hohner Marine Band harmonicas in several keys. Also a chromatic model that was his favorite. I remember his records (one 78rpm) of the Jerry Murad's Harmonicats. Probably not many here remember them. Quite talented group who became famous almost overnight in 1947 when they played "Peg O My Heart" live on a radio station.

Jerry Murad's Harmonicats Live- 12th Street Rag
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)