Do cold air intake filters work ?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Do cold air intake filters work ?

Post by NCSUSousa »

Last edited by NCSUSousa on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

bloke wrote:Wade,
What effect does more-than-9-oz-of-kudzu in an air intake have on acceleration vs. top-end in a 1973 Volvo P-1800 ?
would love a P 1800 (preferably with out the kudzu in the air intake...) beautiful cars, I especially like the wagon version with the glass hatch
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Same here, really. I'm not crying about mine:

... but the older wagon is all classic design

Though with these light color schemes, including the mysterious pale key lime pie green that's common around here, they can quickly start to look like a pile of junk when the door lines get more conspicuous for one reason or another.
oldbandnerd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by oldbandnerd »

After scouring the internet and talking to some knowledgeable people I can confirm that what "the elephant " and "NCSUSousa" have reported here are correct. The CAI filter is great for top end speed but does nothing for torque. Since pulling power (torque) is what I need I'm going to keep my $350 in the bank and not piss it away on this thing.
I did however do a GOTTS MOD ( you can read about it here : http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx.ph ... ation.html" target="_blank ) because it was cheap and easily reversible . I did It just to see what would happen. I can confirm my truck has had a modest increase power and it accelerates much more smoothly and quickly .... without the trailer. With the trailer it makes little or no difference. I'm going to keep it on because I like the way runs now.
Many thanks to everyone who posted here. It is much appreciated and very helpful.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

oldbandnerd wrote:After scouring the internet and talking to some knowledgeable people I can confirm that what "the elephant " and "NCSUSousa" have reported here are correct. The CAI filter is great for top end speed but does nothing for torque. Since pulling power (torque) is what I need I'm going to keep my $350 in the bank and not piss it away on this thing.
I did however do a GOTTS MOD ( you can read about it here : http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx.ph ... ation.html" target="_blank" target="_blank ) because it was cheap and easily reversible . I did It just to see what would happen. I can confirm my truck has had a modest increase power and it accelerates much more smoothly and quickly .... without the trailer. With the trailer it makes little or no difference. I'm going to keep it on because I like the way runs now.
Many thanks to everyone who posted here. It is much appreciated and very helpful.
That mod is similar to much of what I have done - replace unnecessary restrictions done for sound or whatever with a much smoother, straighter intake (and a fraction of the cost of what you mentioned above). As far as the benefits of "cold" air vs air from under the hood, I am sure that is minimal.