Sports Cards

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Sports Cards

Post by Dubby »

Anyone here collect sports cards? I have about 4000 cards of baseball, football, hockey, and basketball cards. Most seem to be from the late 80's early 90's. They just sit here and gather dust.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Sports Cards

Post by iiipopes »

Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

In 1989 my ex was working for a tobacco distributorship and got caught up in the Bill Ripkin error card craze. She bought all of them she could get her hands on thinking they would be worth A LOT of money someday. Turns out those cards she paid as much as $20 each for now sell for a buck or so.

So much for my venture into baseball cards!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Stryk wrote:
TubaTinker wrote:In 1989 my ex was working for a tobacco distributorship and got caught up in the Bill Ripkin error card craze. She bought all of them she could get her hands on thinking they would be worth A LOT of money someday. Turns out those cards she paid as much as $20 each for now sell for a buck or so.

So much for my venture into baseball cards!
Ya, I have some that were worth $200-300 and are less than $50 now. Commons were 10 cents and now you would be dreaming if you got 1 cent each.
I have a few of the original 'f**k face' cards... some of the 'scratch-out' cards... and a couple of the 'white-out' cards. It seems odd that the corrected cards are worth more than the original ones. Word on the street is that Fleer did everything they could to cover their asses and devalued the cards with their influence on the collector market. Shame. If the value of these cards would have grown at the same rate in the last twenty years as it did in the first few weeks... I could have retired and forty-nine instead of fifty-nine!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.