A few words on Greyhound

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
TubaTodd
4 valves
4 valves

Re: A few words on Greyhound

Post by TubaTodd »

I got a call at 730AM this morning that it arrived at the bus station. I just got back from picking it up and I can confirm that the horn survived the trip very well.
Todd Morgan
Conn 52J - Sidey SSH Classic - MF3H
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Aw nuts, that's always the way... "where's my stuff" one day, and it shows up the next day.

Clearly, a good problem to have.

Congratulations on the new tuba, always an exciting day! How is it?!
TubaTodd
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TubaTodd »

The tuba is in great shape. There are a few pings here and there but nothing major. I'll likely have a local guy pop those right out. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I had to go from greyhound straight to work. So it is right here in my cube. I'll play it this evening.
Todd Morgan
Conn 52J - Sidey SSH Classic - MF3H
caseys186
bugler
bugler

Post by caseys186 »

I have used Greyhound three times. Never had a problem, although there is that block of time when you call them and they have no clue that is a little unnerving. That said, no problems, very inexpensive.
Kurt Zeigler

Retired, United States Navy Music Program (Tubist 1995-2015)

Mirafone 186 -5u CC
Tuba Guy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tuba Guy »

I'll second that opinion a second time. I've had a few horns shipped out to me and Greyhound has left me feeling in the dark until that wonderful morning when you get a call of "yes, we've got a package for you"
Overall, I'd say it doesn't take longer than it would take me to pick it up myself, which if you knew my love of driving, is saying quite a lot.
Go Greyhound!
"We can avoid humanity's mistakes"
"Like the tuba!"
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:I always freak out when tubas are shipped to me via UPS or FedEx.
I'd freak out about an expensive tuba going any route, having had a little trouble with Greyhound myself. But my recent acquisition came via Fedex. It wasn't all that expensive, so rather than freak out, I just grabbed my camera and snapped a couple of pics. The box was getting to be more like a somewhat tattered cardboard bag at this point in its journey, but thanks to the masterful packing job (really just a modest amount of bubble wrap), the sturdy tuba within was not seriously harmed. The delivery guy's leg can be seen to the side, he didn't seem real anxious to pose with his delivery but didn't have an easy escape route and hadn't gotten the signature.
tubabox1.jpg
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

So far this year I have had no incidents shipping Greyhound Package Express. My only complaint is that they need to upgrade their tracking system. It does not appear they have intermediate stop reporting, or even final delivery reporting, including picking the item up at the station, as do USPS and the common carriers. My experience with tracking numbers has been an item only shows "in transit," and sometimes does not even show delivery, in spite of the person on the other end of the journey contacting me to confirm receipt of the item.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

During times of heavy passenger travel you just have to give Greyhound shipments a little extra time. I shipped a horn from Evansville, Indiana on September 2nd and it arrived in Tucson on the 9th. The factor here was the Labor Day weekend. It just took that long for their schedules to get back to 'normal'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:All of the GPX counter folk (who double as baggage handlers) in Memphis know me by name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DkaRUtp3w8" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.