Question...

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
StaccatoMorato
lurker
lurker

Question...

Post by StaccatoMorato »

Forgive me if I dont know the answer to this possible logical question but it has caught my eye and never really noticed until now. Ive noticed that on some Tubas, there is something wrapped around near the bottom. Dont know whether its a cloth, etc. or what not but I dont know I was just wondering. This is the only pic I found so maybe one of you know what im talking about. What is it and what is the purpose of it? if I can shorten this down a bit. and if it serves a good purpose, where can I get one. I never really asked anyone what it was until now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StaccatoMorato
lurker
lurker

Re: Question...

Post by StaccatoMorato »

Good to know!

and sorry, it was the first picture I saw that had what I was talking about.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

58mark,

Do you use real leather? I made one for a 186 I used to own and when I took it off, the raw brass had turned green underneath. Isn't there some acid in the leather that's bad for brass? Tannic acid maybe?
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

You know the fast easy way to create on of these is to go to your local drug store (apothecary) and look for one of those neoprene knee brace things. They are big enough for most tubas and go on with attached velcro straps.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
menroth
bugler
bugler

Post by menroth »

I use black cloth-based hockey stick tape on my raw brass tuba. Cheap stuff on a cheap EEb but it gets the job done. On a real quality horn I would use some other protection.

Regards,
Martin