Weather - stay safe

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Weather - stay safe

Post by Rick F »

For folks in the mid sections of the U.S. please keep aware and stay safe.

Updated image to radar
Last edited by Rick F on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Weather - stay safe

Post by Dan Schultz »

I'm in the Southwestern tip of Indiana. Just got back from a grocery run. I think the temp has gone up ten degrees in the last few minutes. Batten down the hatches!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

I checked the radar this morning before our marching band rehearsal. Things looked pretty good around southeast Nebraska, then I zoomed and thought, "Holy cow! I'm glad I don't leave farther east!"

Stay dry folks!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

My weather radio woke me up at 5:30 AM to tell me I was in a tornado warning area. It missed me by a couple of miles and only minor damage. I am thankful for the warning but am now grouchy and very sleepy. I don't know whether to be appreciative or throw the thing in the trash.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Glad you are okay! And since you're okay, I can make the obligatory bathroom joke...
the elephant wrote:We were in the bathroom with our three cats for over two hours yesterday.
Note to Wade: don't ever eat at that restaurant again.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

I have ridden my scooter EVERY day to and from work this week (25-30 minute trip usually, 45+ if traffic is bad) and this morning is the first time it has not rained. I have the cheapest rainsuit from the local Honda shop - plastic pants, plastic jacket - and it seems to have done a good enough job this week. (Although wearing it in the middle of summer was kind of like a portable sauna.) I was considering taking my wagon one of those days, but really couldn't afford the gas. Kind of hard to compete with 103 MPG city. I was standing in line behind a young man at the gas station earlier this week. $60 filled the tank of his SUV. Mine took $3.

My wife DID make me take her car out to a rehearsal one night this week when the rain was so severe you could hardly see AND I had to bring the tuba.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

What's the plan for winter?
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

MartyNeilan wrote:I have ridden my scooter EVERY day to and from work this week (25-30 minute trip usually, 45+ if traffic is bad) and this morning is the first time it has not rained. I have the cheapest rainsuit from the local Honda shop - plastic pants, plastic jacket - and it seems to have done a good enough job this week. (Although wearing it in the middle of summer was kind of like a portable sauna.) I was considering taking my wagon one of those days, but really couldn't afford the gas. Kind of hard to compete with 103 MPG city. I was standing in line behind a young man at the gas station earlier this week. $60 filled the tank of his SUV. Mine took $3.

My wife DID make me take her car out to a rehearsal one night this week when the rain was so severe you could hardly see AND I had to bring the tuba.
bort wrote:What's the plan for winter?
I planned ahead - Found a discontinued good quality one-piece all weather riding suit on ebay before it got cold and purchased it for a fraction of new cost. Treated with several coats of ScotchGuard for added protection. It is hanging up in my garage awaiting the cold - riding in this morning in the low 50's with my heavy denim jacket (20 yrs old from ebay, back when they still made denim heavy) still felt fine. Only my fingertips got a little cold, and I still have some insulated gloves somewhere from when I rode my bicycle everywhere while at Lee University. I have insulated work boots back from when I lived in Virginia to cover the other extremities; my leather dress shoes can go under the seat with my lunch.
I was going to just get a cheap snowsuit, but one of my co-workers who rides recreational all weather said to go with real motorcycle equipment for added protection and durability.
I feel sorry for the people who pay full, or even near full price on those things - if you look around you can find some very good deals on older or used gear. I feel even sorrier for those who can only wear gear with those two magic letters* on them that costs 2-3x over any other brand.

*I have nothing against the brand itself, they have built some decent products since the 80's, it is just too bad that their marketing dept trumps their engineering dept. I just take issue with the cult some people choose to build up around it. If the company wants to charge outrageous prices for stuff that is just "OK" and people will pay it, that is perfectly legal.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Thumbs up for real motorcycle gear, assuming it's real "real" - cheap insurance given the cost of something like a ground off ankle or broken elbow. And around here, scoot commute is more or less feasible most of the year ... but anywhere in the northeast, I don't see how a riding suit is going to solve the problem. Ice ... snow ... I mean, I rode my motorcycle in the snow once and survived, but only a couple miles, the streets were pretty near deserted and I was taking it real easy. As a routine practice in heavy traffic, it sounds suicidal to me.

(With two letters on it ... hm ... popular premium all-weather suit sounds like "Aerostich", but don't think they use a two letter acronym and I can't think of anyone else that does either.)
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bort wrote:What's the plan for winter?
To make sure the 4WD in my Blazer is working! Not that I really want to go anywhere.... just to make sure I can if I decide to.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

There have been times I've thought about getting a scooter since I commute out to the country to teach. But with all the instruments I usually have to haul (teaching in three different buildings) and with the weather only being nice enough a few months out of the year, I just never went for it. Sedans work fine for hauling instruments for me.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Even though there were tornados in the area during the bad weather last week, thankfully all we had in my particular neck of the woods were strong straight winds and pelting rain, then miserable drizzle for a couple of days in a row (If I'm going to have to endure London weather, why can't I be in London? But I digress....). I saw a rare occurrence in weather: both the dreaded storm-is-coming morning rainbow, and after the squall line passed, the end-of-storm evening rainbow in the same day. Yesterday and today were clear and bright, prompting the weatherman to describe the skies (I live in southwest Missouri) as "Royals Blue." Several days of clear weather ahead. Time to get to work with all the outdoor end-of-season chores. Too early for leaves; they are turning, and should reach full color in a week or so, then start dropping en masse about a week after that, especially if we get a good freeze. But the nighttime temperatures are forecast in the 40's for the long term, so with all the rain and sun, that may not happen for awhile, either.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Looks like Bermuda's going to get a direct hit from Hurricane Gonzalo. Sustained winds of 125 mph.

Bermuda radar:
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Rode the scooter to work in light snow yesterday (took forever, but got there without incident) and again today in 19 degree weather. With enough layers and wool socks from a hiking trip 21 years ago, it is bearable. Hopefully, I will pick up the wagon tomorrow after having some long-overdue front end work done. (Paying for it, that's another story.)
Moving parts are going to wear out on a higher mileage 20 year old car - go figure!
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
We are getting absolutely hammered with snow. Driving bans all over. Wind chill below zero--from where the plow went through, at at the end of my driveway it is over my head in snow and I am 6' 3". High winds, warm Lake Erie, cold air--at least 36" of snow--could end up being Lake Effect snow of five feet---a week ago today it was 70 degrees & I was in shorts! And next Monday, the temp is to be a high of 58 degrees... UGH.......
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:
jonesmj wrote:Hi-
We are getting absolutely hammered with snow. Driving bans all over. Wind chill below zero--from where the plow went through, at at the end of my driveway it is over my head in snow and I am 6' 3". High winds, warm Lake Erie, cold air--at least 36" of snow--could end up being Lake Effect snow of five feet---a week ago today it was 70 degrees & I was in shorts! And next Monday, the temp is to be a high of 58 degrees... UGH.......
Mark
too bad it wasn't on Election Day... :tuba:

What--and hurt our governor's re-election & a future U.S. President...Andrew Cuomo? :tuba:
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

A perfect way to get beer during Snowmageddon:
Mark

http://youtu.be/GQfc8d8JEEU" target="_blank

PS. About 8 feet+ has fallen...
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

The only way to snowplow your driveway...Mark

Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Bet a buried parked car in that thing's path would look somewhat the worse for wear afterwards.