streaming tablet to tv set

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
arminhachmer
3 valves
3 valves

streaming tablet to tv set

Post by arminhachmer »

Any recommendations on tv wifi receiver, such as Roku, Miracast, Google Chromecast ?? I want to stream live internet tv and recorded videos and pictures from my laptop or tablet.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: streaming tablet to tv set

Post by bort »

Rule out the Roku, it isn't designed for this. I think Chromecast might be the best bet. Added bonus, its cheap too!
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

Chromecast will do this but only for a very few streaming apps like YouTube and Netflix. For the apps it is compatible with, though, it works very well.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:What am I missing??

I just plug a cord (about a 1/4" diameter cord with a bunch of wires in it) with a truncated-shaped plug from my laptop to my TV, and watch anything on my TV that I can watch on my laptop.
Wires? But that's so un-wireless. :roll: :lol:
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

I just plug a cord (about a 1/4" diameter cord with a bunch of wires in it) with a truncated-shaped plug from my laptop to my TV, and watch anything on my TV that I can watch on my laptop.
That works for a laptop. To do the same from a phone or tablet, a Chromecast device or something like it is much cheaper than the necessary cord adapters. For some phones and tablets, no cord adapters exist.
arminhachmer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by arminhachmer »

Uncle Buck wrote:Chromecast will do this but only for a very few streaming apps like YouTube and Netflix. For the apps it is compatible with, though, it works very well.

ha ! Thanks. I get those now without a add on receiver, on this
half smart tv. I need to get CBC tv from Canada to watch Coronation Street,a british soap I have watched for 50 years. Yes fifty. Its like family. Some actors have been on there all this time.
arminhachmer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by arminhachmer »

Bloke, you are missing nada. When have YOU EVER missed anything? I am simply wanting to use my router because I do not have the cable and it costs more than a Google chromecast
receiver. Also, if the boss trips over the cord after I fall asleep,
you can guess what happens to me.
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Post by ufonium2 »

bort wrote:Rule out the Roku, it isn't designed for this. I think Chromecast might be the best bet. Added bonus, its cheap too!
My Roku2 will definitely do this; my kids stream goofy videos from their (generic Android) tablets to the Roku all the time.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

What tablet?
Chromecast and Roku (supports mirroring now) both require using your wifi. A Miracast dongle can mirror without a data connection but your device needs to be Miracast capable.