The "For Sale" section...

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: The "For Sale" section...

Post by The Big Ben »

lost wrote:if you could make a list of all things you could tell people before posting in the "For Sale" section, what would it entail?

I'm thinking of posting a welcome message to assist members who come here just for that with guidelines that the community agrees upon, and that could occasionally be bumped.
I've thought for a long time that TubeNet needs a FAQ. Frequently Asked Questions which always come up, time and again. A new poster could read the FAQ and, hopefully, ask better questions and make better comments. There *is* a FAQ up near the login/logout area but it just covers the operation of the forum, not any TubeNet specific questions.

I've asked about this before and offered to help gather the information and do the editing but it hasn't gotten any traction.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Some comments about photos and other things in Some suggestions for those providing photos..., from 2008. Needs to be distilled - what you need to say in a for sale ad, and some photo tips, could be expressed in a couple bullet lists. People who need it probably aren't going to fully digest more than that anyway.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Is this item still for sale?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Yes, it is "tooting my own horn," but I would offer one of my recent threads as a good example of how to do things:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63628&p=528296" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

bloke wrote:1. Only buy stuff that bloke offers for sale.
2. Pay him double his asking prices.
3. Make sure you call only in the wee hours of the morning.
4. Just to be sure old Bloke stays awake - periodicly blast an air horn into the phone during your call. This will ensure he gets your order correct.
You forgot 3 & 4 - so I added them for you. You're Welcome. Happy Thanksgiving! :mrgreen:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

58mark wrote:I find videos of the horn in action to be very helpful
For sound, I suppose? I've never made a video, but just guessing from the home made video performances I've seen, I wouldn't recommend that strategy to just anyone.

And, while I'm here ... regarding photos, "the closer the better" is not the first thing I would have said about getting a good photo, and it doesn't show up at all in that 2-page thread about for sale photos. I think I understand what that meant, but
  • it's easy to find examples where a seller has posted only a couple of close photos, which is stupid but technically meets the requirement.
  • the hard part is taking a good full length photo, because to avoid wide angle distortion as mentioned in a follow-up in that thread, you have to get farther from the tuba than may be possible in a bedroom or whatever. So - the farther the better.
Last edited by Donn on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.