Tuba cutting

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
InTuneBb
bugler
bugler

Tuba cutting

Post by InTuneBb »

Just curious,

about how much would it cost to cut a Bb tuba to a C? Does anyone know of anyone/any place who does that?

I already know cc fingerings but was just curious about this cutting philosophy.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Tuba cutting

Post by Dan Schultz »

I don't know of anyone who actively solicits work to cut tubas from BBb to CC. That said... it's basically a matter of removing about 24" from the open bugle (total length of the leadpipe and large bows) and reducing the tuning circuits by about 12%. Although it's basically just mathematics... the results are unpredictable and not always good.

If you have a BBb and desire a CC... sell the BBb and put the funds toward a CC of known quality.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

What is the BBb tuba?
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

TubaTinker wrote:the results are unpredictable and not always good

Then you don't have a BBb or a CC tuba... just an expensive pile of metal that isn't much good to anyone.
Like the man said, find a CC that plays well for you(not as easy as it sounds) and sell the BBb to fund it.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

InTuneBb wrote:I already know cc fingerings but was just curious about this cutting philosophy.
It's a thing, as they say. Lately seems to be popular in the backwoods auto scene.

tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

"Backwoods" meaning South Africa?
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

tbn.al wrote:"Backwoods" meaning South Africa?
I'm going to guess that one may find something corresponding to "backwoods" in most countries, but the observations that prompted that comment were from the US and (apparently) Russia. The video linked above illustrates the results of the cutting philosophy, but not so much backwoods.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

InTuneBb wrote:Just curious,

about how much would it cost to cut a Bb tuba to a C? Does anyone know of anyone/any place who does that?

I already know cc fingerings but was just curious about this cutting philosophy.
Sam Gnagey has made quite a number of CC instruments which have been cut from King 2341 BBb bodies and use an early 20th Century monster Eb bell and bottom bow. He also adds a 5th valve and people are quite happy with the result. These are more "Sam Gnagey CC tubas" than something he cuts on contract but, at the present time, he is about the only person who does this on a regular basis.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

As "Miss Tomlin of The Phone Company" was fond of saying ...
one ringy-dingy - ernestine.jpg
:mrgreen: :tuba:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)