Carrying all that music

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
brocktorock
bugler
bugler

Carrying all that music

Post by brocktorock »

I'm looking for a better way to carry and organize my music for day-to-day college tuba-ing. I've usually got a method book or two, a few etude books, a few small books like solos or duets, and a few folders of ensemble music. Any tips and tricks you've learned over the years? Last semester I just put it all in the zipper pocket of my case and prayed :oops:
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Carrying all that music

Post by Wyvern »

Scan all the music you need and access through a manuscript app on iPad, or whatever tablet you use.

I use Forscore and have about 600 pieces scanned to play any time with no paper to carry.

Now instead of being the last person in band to get up the next piece to play, I am usually the first :)
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

I used to use a laptop bag, the kind with a strap over one shoulder. Worked quite well, had places for pencils, etc.
Sorta like this..
Mark

Post by Mark »

Neptune wrote:Scan all the music you need and access through a manuscript app on iPad, or whatever tablet you use.

I use Forscore and have about 600 pieces scanned to play any time with no paper to carry.

Now instead of being the last person in band to get up the next piece to play, I am usually the first :)
Do you have trouble reading the music on the iPad? I've seriously Considered this, but the screen is a little small for my ageing eyes.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The batteries of a laptop bag will never go dead! :tuba:
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Mark wrote:
Neptune wrote:Scan all the music you need and access through a manuscript app on iPad, or whatever tablet you use.

Do you have trouble reading the music on the iPad? I've seriously Considered this, but the screen is a little small for my ageing eyes.
My eyes are not the best in the world, having worn glasses the last 15 years, but this does not cause me a problem as although the music may be smaller it is back illuminated, so is easier to read, particularly if sitting at the back of poorly lit stage.

For battery life, I have found an average length concert only uses 8% battery power - so if I charge up before leaving home can go all day on one charge if need be, such as all day workshop.
brocktorock
bugler
bugler

Post by brocktorock »

I prayed that everything wouldn't slide around and get crunched, which actually happened a few times :cry: I like that laptop bag idea. I was considering some kind of big binder with a zipper, but that sounds better. I'd never considered digitized music, it's definitely a good idea. I'd have to get the funds, but I don't see how a 12inch wouldn't be comprable to a sheet of paper. Maybe I could find some offbrand tablet for cheaper. Thanks for the input!
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

If you have to carry around more music than will fit in this I feel for you:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5 ... g-File-13/

I have something similar that will hold the music in place and it fits in the pouch of the case. Since it's plastic, it will protect your music from moisture as well.
Last edited by Tubaryan12 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

58mark wrote:Never seen an off brand 12" tablet. . If you find one, let me know
Not quite "off brand", but a good price for what it can do (if you don't mind referbs):
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4201 ... ed_-_White
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Mark

Post by Mark »

If you really need a larger tablet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64vdwiab_Ws.