why I'm not so hot on "tuba solos"

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: why I'm not so hot on "tuba solos"

Post by Donn »

I might be missing the concept here, but if we're talking about female vocalists and '60s bossa nova, I would like to introduce Astrud Gilberto. e.g., Agua de Beber

Kind of a lighter touch, but she really nailed the bossa nova style with her smooth, even, vibrato-less delivery and managed to bring something to the song within those constraints. Not too hard on the eyes either. This is another thing most tuba soloists do not have going for them so much.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I saw her in the mid '90s. Yeah, well, there's not much left of that bossa nova feel anywhere, but ... maybe some tuba solo with combo could bring it back!
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Thanks, bloke. I've been listening to bossa nova all evening. I have a sudden urge for a drink and a cigarette.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

To me, the function of tuba is to support the ensemble. So to me the words "tuba" and "solo," when said together, are an oxymoron.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

At least it isn't a drum solo!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I am sorry to break it to you guys, but drum solos are epic entertainment, compared to tuba solos.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

this thread caught my eye because I was corresponding with bloke. It's very funny...I liked it.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

bloke wrote:
Tubaryan12 wrote:Thanks, bloke. I've been listening to bossa nova all evening. I have a sudden urge for a drink and a cigarette.
...back during the day when a "balanced breakfast" was coffee, a cigarette, and a breath mint for the road...
That's how I start my day.