How to start playing the tuba?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Re: How to start playing the tuba?

Post by aaronliu »

For anyone reading, here is a summary:

Looking to buy:

--used 4 valve B flat tuba;
--a beater tuba
--no case
--one that can be taken to gigs in the back seat of my car
--looking for a stand too

I understand it would be advisable to go to a store, but I don't have the kind of time it would take to drive a couple of hours to one.

I am going to rely on word of mouth. I am hoping to find a playable first tuba at an affordable price. I don't care what it looks like; in fact, the less I have to baby it, the better. I just want something to play until I outgrow it. Something I can sell later. I don't mind losing two or three hundred bucks at resale in a few months. To have had something to play in the meantime will have been well worth it.

I hope to prequalify tuba leads so that when it's time to travel to see one, I will be seeing a tuba that I might buy. I'd like to buy from an owner who is honest and fair. I am going to wait a couple of weeks and see what I can find through this forum and local contacts. If that doesn't work, I will probably try a physical store: either Dillon or Baltimore Brass, whichever seems a better bet.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

I think I will buy the Mack tuba that @michael_glenn suggested. Mack Brass has sold many tubas, and they have an excellent warranty policy. They offer 7 day free shipping returns if not satisfied.

I think it's a no-lose deal. The tuba Mr. Glenn suggested is about $1900 plus tax for the base model in lacquer.

That seems like a no-brainer to me. I will have a tuba soon, a new one, and I won't have to look for one.

I am pretty sure I will be happy with a CC tuba. I am thinking that the valve combinations involving the second and third valves may be awkward and out of tune to play, but I still think that I will be happier playing a CC tuba than a B flat tuba.

I always wanted a horn in C, and now I'll have a chance to have one. I love the idea of being able to play in C major (or A minor) using the short lengths of the horn, instead of the long ones.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Would someone like to give me lessons over the internet?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

The 2+3 and other valve combinations are only out of tune if you let them be. Part of playing any brass instrument is learning the intonation quirks of your particular horn and setting the valve slides accordingly.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Thanks, iiipopes and bloke. I am going to look at the YouTube clip tonight, bloke.

I would like to update folks that I made a deal with Tom Mack at Mack Brass in Petersburg, Virginia.

He was extremely nice and extended himself to me.

Here is what he offered me, and I accepted.

1. Sale of a TU410 CC at the regular advertised price, approximately $1900, reserved with a $200 deposit, to be delivered when his next container arrives in approximately 10 weeks. The lot of tubas is now being manufactured in China.

2. Immediate shipment of a rental tuba that he has in stock, a B flat horn with 3 valves, new, of the same brand. This is being rented to me for $250. However, if I am able to return the tuba to him in new condition without blemish, he will apply my rental fee towards the purchase of the horn I am ordering from him.

I really enjoyed the conversation. He seemed very approchable and helpful. He told me he had taught tuba as a tuba professor. This business started from his desire to help get tubas for his students, and it's taken off. He has taken the risk to make this business his full time occupation, having left his former job.

I told him that I wished him the very best of luck with his venture. He seems very serious about it and dedicated.

I think that I will receive my rental tuba in a few days, probably over the weekend or early next week. I will let you know when I play it. It's being delivered via Greyhound for a shipping fee of $112.

I have received an offer from someone on this forum to teach me tuba by skype, and I've accepted provisionally. With the player's permission, I will tell you who it is. I think it's a really nice gesture on his part.

I'm very excited to begin learning the tuba, and I've mentally taught myself the fingerings for both B flat and C tuba, and I'm thinking about the physics of the valve lengths with respect to intonation.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Tom Mack recommended a Hercules brand tuba stand. I'd like to buy one. Please contact me if you know a good place to get one.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Sounds good, bloke. [put your lips together and blow] The lovely Lauren Bacall...
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

aaronliu wrote:Tom Mack recommended a Hercules brand tuba stand. I'd like to buy one. Please contact me if you know a good place to get one.
Maybe okay, but you will do much better buying a Baltimore Brass stand, in my opinion. They are just much better made, and are rock-solid. the legs are almost flat to the floor and thus you or someone else is less likely to trip over it or have the tuba knock it over.$85. is a small price for quality.
http://www.baltimorebrass.net/index.php?cat=11" target="_blank
Bearin' up!
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Chris Olka interview -- great story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a0xqe0gG7A" target="_blank
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Thank you, scottw! I will look at it right away.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

scottw, thank you so much. It's a beautiful stand, and simple. I will buy it.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Does anyone have mouthpieces they don't want? I will buy a few.

On the trombone, I gravitated towards a larger mouthpiece.

I discovered that I can buzz notes on my lips without a mouthpiece down to pretty low. My lower limit is F sharp with 4 ledger lines, but it would be harder with a mouthpiece. Point being that maybe I should use a larger tuba mouthpiece.

Tom McGrady (Mack Brass) is going to include a mouthpiece for tuba which is the standard issue. This will be a great place to start. He referred me to a mouthpiece maker whom he knows. I don't have his name in front of me. Those mouthpieces have interchangeable parts.

In the meantime I would like to try a few mouthpieces.

For example:

--a middle of the road mouthpiece
--a mouthpiece with a larger rim diameter
--a mouthpiece with a funnel shaped cup. I seem to like those on the trombone. My sound is naturally fat, I think because I have thick lips. Also my upper and lower teeth are uneven (i have a large overbite) and my upper lip vibrates predominantly. A funnel shaped cup seems to focus my sound and emphasize the core of the sound. I used a Denis Wick mouthpiece on the trombone for a while, and I liked it. I could play jazz and concert band stuff on it. But I switched to a Bach 5 GL after that and it was comfortable. That was after Slide Hampton was a guest artist at my college, and I tried his big setup. I loved his big, dark sound. Slide played on a Bach 5 or 4, I think. Man, was he fast. He used to demonstrate the saxophone tutti parts for the sax section. I loved it.
--a mouthpiece with a thicker rim. My first trombone mouthpiece was on an Olds student model horn, and I loved that mouthpiece. It was great for endurance, and great for high notes. Very comfortable. Had a fat, flattish rim. The Denis Wick mouthpiece had a fat, flat rim too.
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

My advice about the rental tuba:

When it arrives, look it over very carefully and document any lacquer flaws, including areas of acid bleed (brown areas typically near joints/seams) or sections where the instrument was not buffed or lacquered properly. Also look for dents and scratches. Report any flaws to the company immediately, so that they have a record in case there are questions when you return the tuba. I received a new Mack Brass tuba recently and it had multiple finish flaws (a.k.a 'blemishes'). The horn plays/sounds great and finish was at the bottom of my list of priorities, so I don't care so much and I KNOW (see below) that self-inflicted blemishes are inevitable. You will need to care in order to receive your $250 credit.

You might also consider skipping the rental scenario entirely as (I'm not sure how else to put this), you WILL almost definitely inflict blemishes, dings and dents from regular use over 10 weeks. I would say that's almost guaranteed. It's a tuba. It's big and clumsy and easy to whack. You can claim to be the most careful person around (I do that all the time!), but it will get whacked. Waiting 10 weeks isn't going to change your life, particularly since you will be starting over fingering-wise. It might save you $250, which would be useful as you play mouthpiece roulette. :)

By the way, who is responsible for the cost of wear, dings and dents inflicted on the rented tuba? Did you get that in writing?

Stands:
The Hercules stand is not a playing stand. It's for storing the tuba while not in use. It's sturdy/stable, but take look at pictures on the Hercules web site as the tuba sits at an angle. Someone else might chime in about whether that makes placing the tuba on/removing the tuba from the stand awkward. If you're looking for a **playing** stand (tuba rest), models are made by Baltimore Brass (recommended by Scott and many others) as well as K&M. This is for playing, not storage. You'll need to determine if a storage stand is necessary (i.e., to avoid inflicting blemishes) as an alternative to placing the tuba on its bell or back in the case.

aaronliu wrote: 2. Immediate shipment of a rental tuba that he has in stock, a B flat horn with 3 valves, new, of the same brand. This is being rented to me for $250. However, if I am able to return the tuba to him in new condition without blemish, he will apply my rental fee towards the purchase of the horn I am ordering from him.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Sorry. Should have just let it go. I apologize.

When your new horn comes to you, I hope you enjoy it and have a lot of fun playing it with your group. The more instruments you play, the more opportunities you will have.
Last edited by The Big Ben on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Thanks, bighonkintuba, lost, and The Big Ben:

1. Regarding the rental tuba. I appreciate the advice. I did not get the terms of the rental/loaner or purchase in writing. I decided to make a gentleman's agreement with Tom. But thank you for looking out for me.

2. If I return the tuba damaged, I am sure that Tom is going to charge me something. I'm ok with that.

3. I don't mind paying $250 to rent a horn for 2.5 months or so. I feel that is a great deal. Time is important to me. I want to get started. I want to be playing in a group within a month.

4. I will get a Baltimore Brass tuba stand. I think a tuba rest to use while playing is more important than a storage stand, and I can't buy both.

5. I am very excited to start this adventure, and I think it will be a wonderful one. Tuba playing opportunities are many and varied. I find that to be a thrilling prospect. I can't wait to see what happens.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

The Big Ben,

No need to apologize. I did not take offense at anything, and don't recall thinking anything you wrote required an apology.

It's gracious of you to apologize, nonetheless. I appreciate the well wishes. I will let you know how my tuba playing goes if you are interested.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

I have the fortune to have found a college tuba major to start teaching me the tuba long-distance. Fresh ideas from the younger generation and a chance for us to help each other. I have a chance to learn a lot. Never forsaw something like this. Very excited.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

So I think that this thread should be closed, in a sense, because I've found my tuba, playing and storage stands, and a teacher. If anyone has something to say, please go ahead, but I'm going to assume that this conversation has run its course.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

aaronliu wrote:So I think that this thread should be closed, in a sense, because I've found my tuba, playing and storage stands, and a teacher. If anyone has something to say, please go ahead, but I'm going to assume that this conversation has run its course.
bump
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Biggs wrote:
aaronliu wrote:So I think that this thread should be closed, in a sense, because I've found my tuba, playing and storage stands, and a teacher. If anyone has something to say, please go ahead, but I'm going to assume that this conversation has run its course.
bump
You are a bad guy, Biggs!!!!!!! :)
Bearin' up!