Happy St. Patrick's Day

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Post by sousaphone68 »

Happy Saint Patrick's Day from Ireland.

Edit footage from my last parade of the day
https://youtu.be/-Z6E1RiYAdA" target="_blank
Last edited by sousaphone68 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

Post by MartyNeilan »

I painted the cats green, this morning, so I am all set.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Corned Beef: I have eaten so much bad corned beef over the decades, and very little good corned beef, that this year my folks and I bought several last week to experiment with. Most of the available recipes cook everything together. Bad idea. All this does is make the veggies turn to mush and the corned beef into shoe leather. After trying a couple of different approaches, we succeeded!!! Yesterday, we treated ourselves to FORK TENDER corned beef! Yes, FORK TENDER! It does take all day. But like anything else, if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. Assuming you have everything readily available, prep time is about ten to fifteen minutes, cooking time is about eight hours, and then the corned beef should rest for about twenty minutes. So if dinner is at 6:00, start no later than 9:00.

Take a commercially prepared three-pound corned beef. Fat side up, score a one-inch cross hatch pattern through the fat and connective layer. Put the corned beef in a Crock-Pot large enough to lay it flat on a wire grate that lifts the corned beef about one-half inch off the bottom. This is important so it does not scorch. Pour in one can of beer, until it is just below the grate. For those of you who so imbibe (responsibly, of course), you may have a sip or two left over - enjoy! If you do not imbibe, water is fine, although it may not be as tender, as the evaporating alcohol helps melt the fat, tenderize the meat, as well as add a little flavor. The melting fat will take the essence of the spices and seasonings and distribute them throughout the corned beef, then drain to the bottom out of the way.

Evenly sprinkle the commercially prepared packet of seasonings over the scored top of the corned beef. Add extra fresh cracked pepper, ground coriander, and a dash of allspice to taste.

Now comes the fun part: set the Crock-Pot on high for four hours. After four hours, then turn it down to low for another four hours. Shut it off and let it set ten minutes, or until the bubbling around the edges stops. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID AT ALL FOR ANY REASON AT ANY TIME! Then take the corned beef out, put it on a platter, and cover it with foil and let it rest for at least another ten minutes so it does not dry out and get tough.

Then, ENJOY!!! - cut it across the grain carefully in slices as you desire, as it should want to fall apart. It will be FORK TENDER. Serve with your favorite sides. If you boil cabbage, then about an hour before the meat is done, prep a head of cabbage by peeling off the tough outer leaves, core it, and cut it into eight wedges Boil it in a stock, or add a little bit of soup starter, or at the least, dash in some salt and pepper to the pot water so it has flavor. You can boil the cabbage together with other vegetables, layering in starting with carrot chunks, red potatoes cut once or twice, depending on the size, or left whole if they are really small, a coarsely chopped onion, and a couple of celery stalks cut in chunks, with parsley and a bay leaf or two. Then layer the cabbage wedges on top, cover with stock or seasoned water. Bring to a boil, then back off to a simmer until tender, about a half hour or so.

Serve with your favorite recipe of soda bread.

Postscript: most commercially available corned beef is cured brisket. So just like any other brisket, barbeque, roast or whatever, it takes the low and slow to bring out its best.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I'm more of a pastrami guy.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
teddy_b
lurker
lurker

Post by teddy_b »

Oh, I'm a little late but Happy St Patrick's Day :D