Happy Earth Day

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Happy Earth Day

Post by bisontuba »

Happy Earth Day!
Mark
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Happy Earth Day

Post by bort »

Happy Earth Day to you, Happy Earth Day to you...

:roll:
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Also administrative professionals day on the same day this year. (Schleppy?)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Did you know that the Earth was not actually born on Earth Day??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Why do you think "Earth Dogs" are also known as "Watermelons??"

:shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ppalan »

bloke wrote:...probably not, but Vladimir Lenin's 100th Birthday (coincidence ??
So were Charlie Mingus, Immanuel Kant, J. Robert Oppenheimer, Jack Nicholson, Glen Campbell and Peter Frampton.
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

[/post]
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

DP wrote:Earth Day 1970? Colleges did green activities like burying Ford Pintos in the ground.
Sound reasoning I am sure behind those kind of protest statements. Kent State happened the following year.
Here's some more vintage sound reasoning:
1. Harvard biologist George Wald estimated that “civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.”
2. “We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation,” wrote Washington University biologist Barry Commoner in the Earth Day issue of the scholarly journal Environment.
3. The day after the first Earth Day, the New York Times editorial page warned, “Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction.”
4. “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” Paul Ehrlich confidently declared in the April 1970 Mademoiselle. “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”
5. “Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born,” wrote Paul Ehrlich in a 1969 essay titled “Eco-Catastrophe! “By…[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”
6. Ehrlich sketched out his most alarmist scenario for the 1970 Earth Day issue of The Progressive, assuring readers that between 1980 and 1989, some 4 billion people, including 65 million Americans, would perish in the “Great Die-Off.”
7. “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation,” declared Denis Hayes, the chief organizer for Earth Day, in the Spring 1970 issue of The Living Wilderness.
8. Peter Gunter, a North Texas State University professor, wrote in 1970, “Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.”
9. In January 1970, Life reported, “Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”
10. Ecologist Kenneth Watt told Time that, “At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.”
11. Barry Commoner predicted that decaying organic pollutants would use up all of the oxygen in America’s rivers, causing freshwater fish to suffocate.
12. Paul Ehrlich chimed in, predicting in his 1970 that “air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.” Ehrlich sketched a scenario in which 200,000 Americans would die in 1973 during “smog disasters” in New York and Los Angeles.
13. Paul Ehrlich warned in the May 1970 issue of Audubon that DDT and other chlorinated hydrocarbons “may have substantially reduced the life expectancy of people born since 1945.” Ehrlich warned that Americans born since 1946…now had a life expectancy of only 49 years, and he predicted that if current patterns continued this expectancy would reach 42 years by 1980, when it might level out.
14. Ecologist Kenneth Watt declared, “By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.’”
15. Harrison Brown, a scientist at the National Academy of Sciences, published a chart in Scientific American that looked at metal reserves and estimated the humanity would totally run out of copper shortly after 2000. Lead, zinc, tin, gold, and silver would be gone before 1990.
16. Sen. Gaylord Nelson wrote in Look that, “Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”
17. In 1975, Paul Ehrlich predicted that “since more than nine-tenths of the original tropical rainforests will be removed in most areas within the next 30 years or so, it is expected that half of the organisms in these areas will vanish with it.”
18. Kenneth Watt warned about a pending Ice Age in a speech. “The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years,” he declared. “If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”

And today, in the United States, the grain used to make one year's worth of mandated ethanol for our cars could feed 40% of the world population for that same year!
Thats progress(ive.) Happy Earth Day!

"The origins of warmism lie in a cocktail of ideas which includes anti-industrial nature worship, post-colonial guilt, a post-Enlightenment belief in scientists as a new priesthood of the truth, a hatred of population growth, a revulsion against the widespread increase in wealth and a belief in world government."
Dale-
Just keeping listening to the Koch Brothers and Fox News and all their fairy tales will come true.....
Mark
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jon112780 »

According to Revelations, this is a disposable planet.

In the beginning it was created, in the end it will be destroyed.

:(
Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Watermelon, get it??

"Green" on the outside, "Red" on the inside!! :mrgreen:
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Ah, I can feel all those knees a-jerkin'!
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:I'll strive to remember to celebrate December 1, as Liberty Day...as this book was published in 1971 on that day (perhaps as a reaction to the celebration of Lenin's 100th birthday...??)

http://www.amazon.com/None-Dare-Call-It ... 0945001290

bloke "Truth can be disturbing, but is always liberating...and no...the atrocities against The People are certainly not limited to one particularly "party". "Parties" were only created and are sustained to serve as distractions...sorta like "pro sports": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdyWs367iLQ "
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bisontuba wrote:
Ah yes, let's keep hearing from those conservative talking heads who think the environment is all fine & dandy and nothing has changed....
Mark
The Climate has been changing since the world began.

The environment has improved significantly since Lenin's 100th birthday.

Not in Urban China maybe, but around here it has!!
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:
bisontuba wrote:Ah yes, let's keep hearing from those conservative talking heads who think the environment is all fine & dandy and nothing has changed....
Mark
Most folks who lived 100 years ago (U.S. male life expectancy 1915: age 52) were dead by the time they were as old as you are, Mark...so how's that "environment" workin' out for ya ? :|

Huh? Where did this enter? :D

The main thing (and most threatening thing) wrong with "the environment" is murderous tyrants here and yon who camouflage (via various ism's which are all euphemisms) themselves as buying into whatever-it-is-that-you're-buying-into. :(

You mean like the Koch Brothers?

If (??) you claim atheism, claim it *fully*. Resign from not *only* the belief that "there is something out there larger than myself", but have the courage to go a step further in your rejection of religion: Resign from the (murderous) Church of Progress. ← yeah...a euphemism

Church of Progress? Huh? How about common sense...

eh?

bloke "...and do enough research to erase your naivete regarding the use of and labeling of "conservative". Thomas Jefferson, as an example, was not and is not considered a "conservative". He was and is considered a "radical" (as Mark, "that which you advocate" - the suppression of individuals via tyrants - has been the default condition of mankind since time immemorial...so *that* is the "conservative" position.) ...and do not peer too closely into a mirror, my friend, you might just see (except, perhaps, for their differing Social-agenda $_ _t List) a "Republican". :|
An Eisenhower Republican today --or in my state-a Nelson Rockefeller Republican--would be considered a liberal today in this age of conservative talking head fairy tales....
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Indeed, at this point, no one can figure it out. As practiced in the halls of power these days, though, sure doesn't seem to have much to do with conserving anything that anyone wanted conserved.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Put one of those predictions into a web search, and see how many places they show up. Well, honestly I have no idea how many - I got approx. 10K results, but that's probably an internal limit to searches. Very important to someone to discredit Paul Ehrlich, et al., eh? Well, of course -- to preserve our freedoms! Or the freedoms of the plutocrats who pull our strings, as it might turn out.

But while the idea, for example, of urban dwellers in the US having to wear gas masks, may seem preposterous to someone who grew up in the '80s or '90s, those of you of course don't remember what it was like in 1970. I didn't live in the city then, but downwind from one, and I remember spring afternoons when the wind was blowing the right way and you could taste the NO3 or whatever it was, feel the edge in your throat, hear kids coughing as they walked home from the bus stop. If you looked at what was going on, connect the dots and extrapolated 10 years, it might have made sense to buy gas mask stock.

But the Clean Air Act has changed that story. Had Life Magazine prudently made no such predictions, had everyone kept quiet for fear of being made an example of later by the plutocrats' attack mobs, we'd have probably looked like China looks today before we finally got fed up with it. I'm sure when people make those kinds of predictions, the last thing they want is to be proven right. Since 1970, it would be crazy to say the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Endanger Species, and the EPA haven't done anything to avert air and water pollution, on the contrary they've done a great deal. These efforts may be something like damage control that maintains a veneer of plausibility over a fatally flawed system, but with no realistic hope for any better system, we at least enjoy the benefits of damage control.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:Individual liberty" does *not* mean 'ruin other individuals' stuff or ruin their air and water'. In fact, it's impossible to do those things without ruining one's own.
And ruin one's own, is exactly what we do. Individually, too, but of course the real driving force behind the "freedom" thing are industries that would enjoy the freedom to externalize the cost of damage to the environment. Indeed, the Chinese people are now paying these external costs, because we would not (and they would, and when they get tired of it there are other parts of the world waiting in line.)

Back in those same bad old days I refer to above, we used to take trash out back and burn it in an old oil barrel. I don't remember exactly when that stopped, maybe mid '70s, and I don't recall whether anyone had to tell us we couldn't, but today it would be like ... like lighting up a cigarette in the supermarket. Freedoms lost, and not missed.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Every once in a while I miss lighting up at my desk at work.

Booze at Christmas parties...

Kids these days look at me like; :shock:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I don't miss anything about my desk at work.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:Technology (developed by individual scientific minds...not fascio-sci-shills) has cleaned up stuff. Communism hasn't cleaned up anything. Communism has only shuttered countless American businesses (by design, of course).

In full-blown Communist countries, people are still wearing face masks in cities (so Mark can - for now - buy the next 1/4-priced or 1/2-priced tuba-thing and jump with glee).
Joe-
You sell Chinese instruments-Packer, compensating euphoniums, used Chinese tubas, etc. from China--If you feel strongly about people wearing face masks in cities, why not stop selling the instruments made there and just sell German instruments instead? You can't have it both ways.....
I hope the Chinese wake up to the environmental problems being created by them--just like I hope the USA wakes up to the evils on the environment of fracking gas...
Mark