9 Things I hate about the tuba and the tuba community!!!

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Re: 9 Things I hate about the tuba and the tuba community!!!

Post by k001k47 »

I think you should follow up with nine things you love about the tuba community.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I'm glad I'm a rank amateur!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
amirlgray
lurker
lurker

Post by amirlgray »

Thanks guys!!! Glad you guys enjoyed it. I will definitely be coming with a follow up in the future and this is just the start so look to see more blogs coming soon.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

schlepporello wrote:
TubaTinker wrote:I'm glad I'm a rank amateur!
You're in good company.
I'll get on this dogpile too!!

This was a very well written blog, with some solid points. Thanks for sharing this with us!!
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I have to admit I'm guilty of some of these transgressions. However, knowing about equipment and the differences, problems and solutions has helped my playing and enjoyment of the instrument. It has helped me determine if a wayward horn is worth my restoration efforts. There are some really great players and teachers, if you listen to them, are really about the sound and the song. Yes, they do use gimmicks to make them unique, but it serves the purpose of getting people to listen in the first place. You are right it is all about the enjoyment of playing. Both for the player and anyone willing to listen. One thing to like about tuba players, they all seem to have a good sense of humor (OK maybe most.)
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

There is a thin line between gimmick and innovation. The Tuba world is more impressed with gimmicks than innovation. Music should express something. If the technique isn’t being added for new finesse, a new way to stroke the brush, and build upon the art form, then my big question is, “WHY???”
Isn't this true of most post war classical music composers as well??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

The answer to your first question is...trumpet players! Trombone players! They obsess about loudness as much or more as do tuba players.

And on the topic of gimmicks, I've never seen some of the things that get trumpet players worked up applied to tubas. Music is hard to do well; people are always looking for shortcuts, no matter what instrument they play.

Who rules the tuba world? Does the tuba world have a ruler? I guess I didn't get the memo. When I hear Gene Pokorny speak about tuba playing, I always listen. Same for Sheridan, Baadsvik, Pilafian, or even certain blokes. Are they theorists? Any of them? Now, if you wanted to say that forums like this are ruled by theorists, and if you changed "ruled" to "dominated", then you might have had a point at one time. But now I think they are more dominated by those unwilling to consider theory.

You have 5-1/2 octaves of working range? I'm impressed. I think I can manage three, and I think I can still agree with the point you are making.

Finally, "griping" only requires one "p".

Rick "beware of demonstrating what you complain about" Denney
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

I was a Trumpet player back in HS in the 70s. Shortly thereafter switched to the Euphonium. Around 5 years ago I got the Tuba bug and now understand tubaholism. It's not a hate issue but more of a challenge that I've made great strides with. One word, partials. Now I know that French horn players will roll their eyes, but nailing the right partial in the mid upper to upper registers at the beginning of a song or coming in cold on an entrance note is certainly more challenging than doing so on Euphonium or Trumpet. Much of it boils down to pitch recognition and setting the correct buzz. I think of it as positive stress. The tuba community? If this forum is any indication I dig the camaraderie and candor.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Tampaworth wrote: tubaholism
8)
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

bloke wrote:bearskin tuba bags?
Rancid Bear Grease