Jazzy sheet music for odd ensemble

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Chadtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Jazzy sheet music for odd ensemble

Post by Chadtuba »

I need some suggestions on some small ensemble music. I have been tasked by my father-in-law to find some music for grandma's 80th birthday party to be played by her adult grandchildren (my wife and her siblings and cousins). He would prefer something in a big band style if possible. Here is what I have to work with:

1 very talented violin
1 ok violin/viola (if we can get our hands on a viola)
2 decent trombones
me: tuba, euphonium, trombone or drum set

I'm defiantly capable of transposing/rewriting a part to fit the needs, I'm just having trouble finding a decent arrangement that isn't too difficult or to childish sounding. I've been combing through the Sibelius Score Exchange website for a few hours with little luck. I did find a nice arrangement of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee," but I think he wants a little more big bandish sound if possible.

Thanks.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Jazzy sheet music for odd ensemble

Post by opus37 »

How about brass quintet music?
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Chadtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chadtuba »

I'm going to use the string quartet version of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" and transpose the viola part for the trombones so we'll do 1st violin, 2nd violin, trombone, and me on tuba. If the sax cousin decides to participate then I'll double him on the 2nd violin part. Not ideal, but it will bring a big smile to grandma's face and in the end that's what matters.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Not to splash cold water on your plans, but have you considered that playing what some [N Orleans, in particular] would call a funeral tune for an 8o-yo might be a bit of a downer? :) Just sayin'!
Bearin' up!
Chadtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chadtuba »

scottw wrote:Not to splash cold water on your plans, but have you considered that playing what some [N Orleans, in particular] would call a funeral tune for an 8o-yo might be a bit of a downer? :) Just sayin'!
I had not thought of it that way, but I'll still bet that my wife's grandmother would get a big kick out of that one. :mrgreen: