The Newbies say "Hi!"

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Re: The Newbies say "Hi!"

Post by chronolith »

Hi Larry! Long-time listener, first time caller.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

schlepporello wrote:
Biggs wrote:I am Spartacus.
No! I am Spartacus!
I'm Brian of Nazareth!

No, i was only pulling your leg. I'm not Brian really...
TubaTinker wrote:I'm certainly not a 'newbie' but wish to extend a hearty welcome to those who are. You might add your axe of choice if you haven't already done so. Maybe a little biography, too!
Newbie sounds weird, when applied to a musical instrument (though "noobs on toobs" does have certain something to it), but yeah, i guess it's right at home with respects to an online community.

Anyway, both apply to me, relatively speakin'.

Quick biography... roughly 5 and half years ago, i got word a local concert band was looking for a tuba player. I responded that i don't play, but am willing to learn. Well, they let me learn on the job, usually calling in a friendly ringer to support me in concerts few the first couple of years. Over the years a few other humble opportunities, but a couple years ago, a family situation came up, which offers a great chance for woodshedding during down time, but alas, i've not used it so much.

Favorite axe? (again, getting used to the term...) Strictly because i think it adequate to learn on, and otherwise it fits my unrefined tuba skilz to a T, a cheap BBb couesnon, 3 valve upright, with recording bell, and otherwise pretty beat up. How i got it could make a good story, if i don't drown the narrative in details... And my venue of choice with it (as i should defer to a conductor's preference and use something more appropriate if they desire, though on second thought i think there were two instances i didn't think to ask, and they didn't complain) is busking, but alas, not much of that for me recently. A month-ish ago, I actually picked up a comprable Bb couesnon baritone(?), also recording bell, but 3 front action valves, making the bell on the other side, a sort of mini-me. While i haven't done anything with 'em in public, i'm filling my daydreaming quota trying to come up with some spectacle worth the effort. The current such impossible dream would be to build a Charlie McCarthy for it... Or i suppose while i'm working out the kinks, a Mortimer Snerd.

Anyway, that's the quick rundown.

I'm sure i got more to say, and ask and whatnot, as tubenet seems like an immense resource, but there'll always be time for more.

I should validate the title of this thread...

Hi!

-rob (not brian, see?)
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

schlepporello wrote:Be careful, you may end up like me, owning 4 working tubas, 2 non-working sousaphones and 2 baritones.
All this while still being an amateur!
The warning is certainly appreciated, but it is already too late for me.

Well, if technicalities count, i think i got a $50 check for bein' in a march. Does that make me a pro? Or did i need to cash it? (I'm actually not sure if i ever did)

I already have more tubas than i can play at any one time. I think i tell myself that helicons don't count, but i'm not sure i believe that, as they sound pretty good. Still not always sure they hang quite right on my shoulder yet... And i guess since i'm already a lost cause, now it becomes more about doing the right thing for the tubas (at least the older ones), and i think, perhaps slowly, i'm doing that, i hope.
Thanks for playing!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

The Big Ben wrote:"I am the Eggman. We are the Eggmen. I'm the Walrus!"

Jeff "Goo-goo-sh-goob" Benedict
NOOOOOO! I know the REAL Walrus. He's a tuba player/bassist who goes by Bruce Keck and lives in Eastern Tennessee. :D
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
ginnboonmiller
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ginnboonmiller »

So, to all of you with exactly three threads, posted within a couple minutes in the same three threads: what's the endgame? I thought at first that the idea was to keep from getting banned before you started spouting spam posts, but now I'm wondering if it's some kind of a surrealist prank, in which case, it's pretty entertaining and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

But seriously, as long as you're using this strategy to do whatever you're doing, you may as well be honest in one of these posts and let me know what's going on. I have no power here, so you can satisfy my curiosity without repercussion.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Go get 'um Shelppy!
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
ginnboonmiller
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ginnboonmiller »

KittyCathy wrote:I'm also new here. So... Hello everybody! Nice to meet you.
Hi! It's great that you finally signed up for the forum! So did you ever find out why so many of you register here and post exactly three times? I've been dying to know!
LadyLand
lurker
lurker

Post by LadyLand »

Hi! I'm new, too. Nice to meet you.
milissam
lurker
lurker

Post by milissam »

Hi! Originally signed up in 2008 and lurked for a while. I'm just now getting around to posting however.
I'm a 20 year old female who lives in the Boston area. I've been playing tuba since I was 12 or 13. I'm a performance major and I love every minute of it!

I'm excited to meet plenty of Yall and I am excited to be here.