Windows 10? BOO-HISS

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Windows 10? BOO-HISS

Post by Ken Herrick »

I hit the upgrade button on windows update yesterday and really wish I hadn't. RUBBISH!!!
Free to tuba: good home
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Windows 10? BOO-HISS

Post by Tubaryan12 »

I finished my upgrade this evening. My only complaint is the sign up for outlook isn't working correctly so I can't use Cortana. Other than that, everything I've done so far has worked.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

My only complaint is that it makes the screen of my 5-year-old laptop look really bad. Time to upgrade to a better laptop soon anyway.

I think Windows 10 is great, and Windows Phone 10 is great too. All those Android and iPhone crazies out there have got it all wrong!
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

bort wrote:All those Android .... crazies out there have got it all wrong!
My first PDA and smartphone were both Windows based. I would have stayed with Windows phone if not for the Metro UI. Windows 6.5 allowed for widgets. Windows 7 only gave you live tiles with their limited information. The day Windows phone allows full sized, useful widgets (and a stylus) again is the day I will come back.

Tubaryan"Samsung Galaxy Note is the best smartphone ever"12

:D
Marzan BBb
King 607F
Posting and You
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I started with WP 7, which was also my first smartphone. Improvement from what I had before, and I really liked the simplicity of it. But it didn't do enough. Windows 8 and 8.1 were major improvements, but Windows 10 is two jumps forward, as the name indicates.

I love it. It's too late to have any real market share, but it works for me and I hope it sticks around.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

FYI-mark

Why this Windows 10 feature is freaking everyone out
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/30/technol ... index.html" target="_blank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Bleah -- both the technology, and the CNN page, among other things that started playing a video that I didn't enjoy much.

Maybe better writeup on Ars Technica Wi-Fi Sense in Windows 10: Yes, it shares your passkeys; no, you shouldn’t be scared

I'm not scared (since there isn't really any chance I'll encounter this technology), but not that excited either. Something along these lines that a hotel for example could deploy for guests, that would be kind of cool, if it were platform independent.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

bloke wrote:I wonder how much layer-upon-layer worthless $h!t there is in all of these subsequent and needless O.S.'s ??
Yep. A LOT of people are wondering the same thing.

Ace
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:I wonder how much layer-upon-layer worthless $h!t there is in all of these subsequent and needless O.S.'s ??
To quote Carl Sagen 'Billions & Billions'..... :lol:
Mark
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

As with everything else, don't be the first to bite, until the bugs are worked out, but don't be the last to hang on, and risk obsolescence. I will probably upgrade from 8.1 about a year from now after the usual settling in period of things has been accomplished.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Update on bugs:
Calendar will not let you edit or delete entries
I now have a Microsoft outlook account and Cortana (including "hey Cortana") works

I will try to update as I find more, or bugs get fixed / figured out.
Marzan BBb
King 607F
Posting and You
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Makes ya wonder...

I read last month that the US Army "forced" MSFT to support their copies of XP. Seems there are a host of applications they use and see no reason to change which won't run on 7 or 8 and, besides, the Army's hardware won't run 7 or 8 either.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

It's pretty much killed my desktop. It keeps flashing from the desktop to a black screen 2 to 3 times a second. Can move the mouse but can't click on anything. Tried to update the video driver in safe mode(which is now a bitch to get to. Why did they make it harder to get it? At what point did that seem like a good decision?) but that didn't do anything. I think I'm going to have to do a clean install of Windows 7.

Doug
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist